pete

maul weight

Curious- If you had one weight maul to use on everything except saddle work(12-16 oz.) what would you feel comfortable with?

pete

Curious- If you had one weight maul to use on everything except saddle work(12-16 oz.) what would you feel comfortable with?

pete

20oz. Bob Beard maul! They're black, beautiful, and hard to get.

20oz. Bob Beard maul! They're black, beautiful, and hard to get.

Impossible, actually, last I heard, he doesn't make them any more.

I use my 20oz. maul for most of my work.

Kate

I use my Bob Beard 16 oz for 90% of what I do (if you exclude saddle work)....but that's a hard decision.....I'd probably select the 20 oz Beard if I could only have one.

BTW if anyone has a 12oz or 32oz Beard they don't like or aren't using I'll give you your money back and some to boot!

:devil:

Bob

Folks are correct: Bob Beard no longer makes mauls. Period.

I'd go with a 20oz as well. Heavy enough for maker stamps, box stamps, etc, but light enough it doesn't wear you out.

I use Barry King round (circular?) maul, no angled heads. Sometimes the polyurethane flakes with little specks. I haven't figured out a way to prevent that. I've head Wayne Jueschke makes good mauls, but I don't know from personal experience.

To add to this question, who DOES make custom mauls these days, aside from Barry and Wayne?

Harvey

Los Angeles

Folks are correct: Bob Beard no longer makes mauls. Period.

I'd go with a 20oz as well. Heavy enough for maker stamps, box stamps, etc, but light enough it doesn't wear you out.

I use Barry King round (circular?) maul, no angled heads. Sometimes the polyurethane flakes with little specks. I haven't figured out a way to prevent that. I've head Wayne Jueschke makes good mauls, but I don't know from personal experience.

To add to this question, who DOES make custom mauls these days, aside from Barry and Wayne?

Harvey

Los Angeles

Our own Ed, the BearMan makes beautiful mauls! And matching desk stands for them too!

Bob

Has any one got a picture of a Bob Beard 20 oz maul. Not ever having seen one, what makes it special?

Here's what Beard Mauls look like. These are 16oz, 20oz and 24oz.

Bob

mallet_rack__L_.jpgBeard_mallets__L_.jpg

post-7682-1245952941_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1245952954_thumb.jpg

The Beard Mauls look like they would get the job done. They look like they have poly heads but what are the handles made of?

The Beard Mauls look like they would get the job done. They look like they have poly heads but what are the handles made of?

They are molded in one piece and I can't remember the name of the material....I like them because there is no flaking as you see with rawhide or nylon mauls, and I like the longer striking head on them.

Bob

I just had two made by Bearman, a 14oz and a 20oz. The 14oz is wonderful for small intricate stuff, and the 20oz makes the rest of it go really fast. Don't know that I will use a mallet again.

Over the years I have compiled maul information (sizes, shapes, materials, etc) from personal experience and personal research . I have compiled the weights below from various forums and even asked the same question on favorite size (weight) and so forth. From 282 responses here are the responses that I received...

Favorite Weight (282 responses)

Oz %age

16 41

20 38

12 09

14 06

24 04

Others 02

Regards,

Ben

Usually the first maul I reach for is a 17oz. I also have another 17oz, that I used for quite some time, even though it was an experimental head design. It's rounded on one side, like a maul, & it's flat on the other, like a mallet. For the lighter weight stuff I use a 10oz.

Ed

I'm new to leather working and made my own maul two weeks ago. I used it this last week to tool the border on a holster. I'm sold I'm not going to bother with a mallet of any type.