Raven

Dark Ages decorative techniques?

Can anyone tell me what techniques were used in the Dark Ages to decorate leather? Perhaps show some examples? I'd like to do some work on that line, particularly a sheath for my seax knife but also for pouches and the like

Most of the information that I have seen comes from books written by archaeologists and shows drawings of actual pieces found during digs. My favorite at this time is a book called "Purses in Pieces" by Olaf Goubitz and it says that "most common motifs were impressed" and "Most cases were decorated with impressed linear ornamentation, with flowers and tendrils with a combination of floral and architectural motifs" end quote! And most of the examples come from the late medieval period.

Can anyone tell me what techniques were used in the Dark Ages to decorate leather? Perhaps show some examples? I'd like to do some work on that line, particularly a sheath for my seax knife but also for pouches and the like

Hi Raven. I've just joined here and haven't got any pics etc on yet but will do soon! I was/ am an archaeologist and have been a traditional leatherworker for around twenty five years. I marry the two by making replica stuff for museums and galleries, amongst others. If you hang on for a couple of days (busy at the minute!) I'll send you some pics and info.

Andy

Hi Raven. I've just joined here and haven't got any pics etc on yet but will do soon! I was/ am an archaeologist and have been a traditional leatherworker for around twenty five years. I marry the two by making replica stuff for museums and galleries, amongst others. If you hang on for a couple of days (busy at the minute!) I'll send you some pics and info.

Andy

Please post it publicly! I'm interested too!

(I'll be taking a class on Blind Embossing at Pennsic and will share what I learn when I get home, second week of August.)

Please post it publicly! I'm interested too!

That goes for me, also, and I would venture a guess that many others on the Forum would like a posting, too.

Andy: (I used to make many Revolutionary War replica items for a concern back in the mid '70s- tomahawk covers, British RevWar goatskin knapsacks, frizzen covers, linen haversacks, etc)

Oh, and many thanks in advance!

russ :whatdoyouthink:

I too, would be very interested in seeing your pictures.

Thanks Andy that would be fantastic!

Mee too!

The only decorative Work on Leather from dark Ages I know are cutted lines (like decorative cuts with the swivel knive) and impressions like a circle with a dot in the middle (look "Warriors Belt" in hist. reenactment section).

Sonofab*#@+! I completely forgot this one. My apologies will never cease for this! I've got some pics out now and will try to scan them and post them this week. Really sorry people! =S

DARK AGES ??? IT'S BEEN SO LONG I HAVE FORGOT....WHAT IS THAT TIME PERIOD ?

It's the period that we've just gone back to here in jolly old England! mad.gif

I am very interested, too.

Maybe i could look up some books in our university liberary, where i am studying History, but can't promise, when i'll have time for that. Because of exams, it could last until april or so. 

I recommend looking for some paintings, architecture, book illustrations for inspiration, which would not be historically accurate but very inspiring. 

I love the Art of the Book of Kells, for exxample. Just google it. Realy beautiful and someone, who is more skilled than me, could maybe bring that beauty to leather. 

Many Greets,

Jazznow

Add another name to that list of interested people who want to see pics! :)

I am looking for ideas to use to do SCA armor.

Kaz

"Dark Ages" is used to describe regressions in cultures world wide; so dates and meanings change depending on the region in discussion.

Assuming Raven is revering to the region of Europe, the Dark Ages ran roughly from the year 500 to the year 1400. Starting at the collapse of the Western Roman Empire and ending with the start of the Renaissance; a period of about 900 years.

Edited by Studio Apocalypse