Sign in to follow this  
RVM45

Has anyohne ever seen Pigskin

When I worked in the slaughter houses; every once and awhile they'd skin out a fairly large red hog.

The hair was a beautiful color, and I wondered if it could be tanned hair on, to make a leather jacket?

I'm deliberately trying to avoid the word "Fur"; because hog bristles don't exactly fit that description...

In fact, I have also wondered if the stiffness of the bristles wouldn't make a leather pigskin a bit uncomfortable to wear...

Then again, perhaps the hair could be relaxed; coditioned; broken down a wee bit...

If nothing else, it would make a bang-up novelty football...

Anyway, anyone ever seen or tried it?

.....RVM45 :red_bandana::eusa_naughty::red_bandana:

Yes Sir, I sure 'nuff have, on several occasions. They was fairly securely wrapped around most every pig I ever encountered, and if my memory serves right, I'm thinkin' they all contained hair.

The reason you don't see "pig furs" is because the hairs (bristles) go completely through the skin and the follicles are actually anchored in the fatty layer underneath the skin. So when you remove the hide and then flesh it - that is scrape off the fatty connective tissue; you are removing the layer that anchors the bristles - thus, there is nothing to hold the bristles in.

This is the same reason that pigskin is more breathable than most leather types - the holes, where the bristles were, go all the way through pigskin leather. This is also why you seldom see heavy pigskin like you do cowhide - the usable layer is not very heavy in most of the market pigs slaughtered each year which are animals running 200 lbs and down.

PS. By the way, footballs are actually made with cowhide. The term comes from the early days when the ball was made from a pig bladder.

WyomingSlick user_popup.pngThe reason you don't see "pig furs" is because the hairs (bristles) go completely through the skin and the follicles are actually anchored in the fatty layer underneath the skin. So when you remove the hide and then flesh it - that is scrape off the fatty connective tissue; you are removing the layer that anchors the bristles - thus, there is nothing to hold the bristles in.

This is the same reason that pigskin is more breathable than most leather types - the holes, where the bristles were, go all the way through pigskin leather. This is also why you seldom see heavy pigskin like you do cowhide - the usable layer is not very heavy in most of the market pigs slaughtered each year which are animals running 200 lbs and down.

PS. By the way, footballs are actually made with cowhide. The term comes from the early days when the ball was made from a pig bladder.

What a kind and wonderful answer. You sir are a fine person!

We still use pigskin (without bristles) on saddle seats as it is so hard wearing .

Old harness makers taught us to use a hog's bristle when hand stitching very long fixed loops on harness as the awls were too short and not pliable enough to bend through the loops, still use that technique today as nothing has ever been found that is better!

Oz

Oz,

do you know of a supplier of quality pigskin who would ship small quantities (three or four hides) to North America? I have been wanting to use it for inlaid seats on western saddles but it has become impossible to find here.

Darcy

We still use pigskin (without bristles) on saddle seats as it is so hard wearing .

Old harness makers taught us to use a hog's bristle when hand stitching very long fixed loops on harness as the awls were too short and not pliable enough to bend through the loops, still use that technique today as nothing has ever been found that is better!

Oz

Hello,

Have you tried my main supplier abbeysaddlery.co.uk ?

They sell it from £2.40 per square foot plus postage plus the dreaded vat (Very Annoying Tax !)

in 7 colours too

OR one of my other suppliers is Leprevo.co.uk

here is pasted below a few bits off of their site

pigskin.jpg

This pigskin is intended to be used on the leather side but is often clean enough to be used as a suede. Order Code Type Colours Substance mm

Hide Size ft² Price / ft²

pigskin

natural, brown black

0.8 - 1.0

10 to 15

£1.28

suede.jpg Pigskin suede comes in larger pieces than sheep nappa and has a wonderful drape. It is suitable for all fashion garments. Order Code Type Colours Hide Size ft² Price / ft²

Pigskin suede

10 to 15

£1.84

Pigskin suede

10 to 15

£1.46

If you are really brave and want a saddle to stand out try this!!!!!!!!!!

metallic.jpg

This is made by a process which bonds metal foil to a pigskin base. It is a suitable weight for clothing but it is a luxury material not guaranteed to be dry cleanable and not machine washable. It is stocked in the following colours Gold, Silver, Old Gold, Old Silver, Turquoise and Fuchsia. Order Code Type Colours Hide Size ft² Price / ft²

Metallic foiled pigskin

8 to 12

£2.46

Hope this helps??

Oz :)

Oz,

do you know of a supplier of quality pigskin who would ship small quantities (three or four hides) to North America? I have been wanting to use it for inlaid seats on western saddles but it has become impossible to find here.

Darcy