Sign in to follow this  
troy

biker boots patterns

Below is a drawing of the sort of boots I'm after making. I see them as biker boots but am not really sure of the differeance between biker or cowboy boots - I gather there is a differance and wondered if some one has a pattern similar to those in the drawing. Also wondered what type, thickness of leather I should be using? was thinking of sole leather for the soles and thin black latigo for the tops and foot bits. Cheers for any pointers

new_1.jpg

post-182-1247677302_thumb.jpg

Below is a drawing of the sort of boots I'm after making. I see them as biker boots but am not really sure of the differeance between biker or cowboy boots - I gather there is a differance and wondered if some one has a pattern similar to those in the drawing. Also wondered what type, thickness of leather I should be using? was thinking of sole leather for the soles and thin black latigo for the tops and foot bits. Cheers for any pointers

new_1.jpg

Well, I know cowboy boots are usually seamed on the sides. That's different than the typical European styles. I'm not sure as far as biker boots go. :dunno:

The boot in the picture looks like it would need to be seamed in the back. I hope that helps get you in the right direction!

Actually the drawing looks like Leggings worn with some type of sandals ala roman legion. Western boots have heels and soles designed to stay in the stirrups, tops to protect from chaffing and generally pointy toes to get at lacucarachas in the corners at the local watering hole. Motorcycle boots are more for preventing road rash, have flatter heels and soles to resist oil, stay on the foot pegs, squarish toes for kicking butt, and usually have reinforcement over the top on the boot used for toe shifting. Anyway thats my take on the differences. :rofl:

One of the great mysteries of the world just got solved - why do cowboy boots have those pointy toes... obvious when you know the answer. Cucarachas!

I could have done with a pair at a hotel in Barcelona a while back. Man, you have never seen so many!

Sorry, Paul, I don't have a pattern for you - I hope somebody else does!

Ray

Should known you would be the first to respond to my roach trivia Ray! LMAO

Are you going to use a last to build the boots?

Cheers guys for your help, After having looked at an e-book posted somewhere else, I now know just how damn differculty it is to make western boots (or disco floor movers - which is about the only thing they were put to use in UK.)

Because of this I have resorted back to the original idea for these boots and that is that the uppers are treated as leg armour and attached at the back, resting on some black shoes I'll probably buy some where.

But the idea of making boots has started a little fire of curiosity - so you never know for the future!!!

Paul

Cheers guys for your help, After having looked at an e-book posted somewhere else, I now know just how damn differculty it is to make western boots (or disco floor movers - which is about the only thing they were put to use in UK.)

Because of this I have resorted back to the original idea for these boots and that is that the uppers are treated as leg armour and attached at the back, resting on some black shoes I'll probably buy some where.

But the idea of making boots has started a little fire of curiosity - so you never know for the future!!!

Paul

Are you planning on using these for actual motorcycling? If so, I'd be concerned that the "greaves" (leg armor) would separate from the shoe and your ankle would get chewed up. I mean, this from someone who wears hiking boots for motorcycling, but that's because I can't find taller boots that fit both my feet and my calves. I lust over these (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Combat-Touring-Boots-p-16558.html), but they don't come small enough. Poor me.

Are you planning on using these for actual motorcycling? If so, I'd be concerned that the "greaves" (leg armor) would separate from the shoe and your ankle would get chewed up. I mean, this from someone who wears hiking boots for motorcycling, but that's because I can't find taller boots that fit both my feet and my calves. I lust over these (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Combat-Touring-Boots-p-16558.html), but they don't come small enough. Poor me.

I have no plans to, but could be an idea for a comic strip the artist is thinking of - seeing as a short sword and horse bow completes the armour. A bike riding, bow and arrow throwing, sword slashing hero - just gotta think of a name now.

I have no plans to, but could be an idea for a comic strip the artist is thinking of - seeing as a short sword and horse bow completes the armour. A bike riding, bow and arrow throwing, sword slashing hero - just gotta think of a name now.

Bob.

(That's my answer for most naming quandaries, which is why my cat's name is Bob.)

Bob.

(That's my answer for most naming quandaries, which is why my cat's name is Bob.)

Ye, I like it short sweet and to the point - reminds me of a silly game we played at school at the swimming pool bubing up and down shouting bob, bob.