TwinOaks

Maker's mark design?

I'm planning on (finally) getting my maker's mark and have stumbled onto something that may be a problem.

My little website (twinoaksleather) was open and available, and AFAIK, no problem in obtaining. However, a search listed several other leather related websites that do have "Twin Oaks" as part of the name. Worse, they had it first. I'm not ready to become an actual business right now, and still do things on an amateur/hobbiest scale.

Does my use of the name constitute an infringement? I use it because of two nearly identical oaks in my yard, and just thought the name was appropriate for my locale. Until I did the search, I didn't even know anyone else used it.

Secondly, if this could even possibly become an issue, is it a better idea to have my maker's mark with only my name (and 'maker') on it?

I'd love to hear from our business minded members on this.

All thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Mike, for doing a makers mark, I would suggest using your own name, instead of Twin Oaks. This is a common question in the custom knife industry where makers want logos or company names.Most usually end up using their names.You want users to remember your name and a company or symbol.I use D.Cole onall my knives and leather goods. Just my thoughts brother.Dave

Or you can just use "Two Oaks in my Front Yard." Oh wait, someone will come up with that one too. I am sure others have two oak trees. Sorry, I cannot help with the name issue, but I could offer some comic relief.

I like the response you got already. I say go for it. I mean, my name is also used by an alternative rock band, but I don't think anyone is going to confuse music with custom leather or hand tooled by design?

Good luck.

I think this would be more of a legal issue & understand you don't want to spent the $$ finding out.

When I went into a real business (small at best) I just pulled one out of the sky. I'm Al & my wife is Gail, thus we named our business A&G Custom Gun Leather and made up what I think was a nice looking logo & got a maker mark. I guess it could stand for Atlanta, Ga where we live - but does it really matter. The quality, price and turn around makes your business - not your name. JMO.

I'd go with the name idea, such as "Handcrafted by: ... "

I chose Wild Rose Creations because of the wild roses that grew everywhere around the farm I grew up on. After I got on this board, I was somewhat amused to find a Wild Irish Rose joined too...a bit close, but I guess legally it's different enough.

I agree with name. BUT, I got carried away with mine and put my full name, initials, city, Maker, and fish symbol. End result was that it looked good on my computer but, is too small to read everything. I had 2 made 1/2" & 1". Needless to say, the 1/2" is totally worthless. My background in goldsmithing had me thinking too small I guess.

Put as little as you can on as big a stamp as you can for the work you are doing. Pretty much a hundred bucks down the drain.

Regis

Edited by Regis