jonwatsabaugh

lightweight Wade

I received an order sometime back from a lady who lives locally that wanted a classic Wade saddle built as lightweight as possible. When I was confronted with the challenge I immediately suggested a fiberglass encased tree. She wasn't to keen on the idea at first, but soon I gained her trust and she agreed, as the weight consideration was very important to her. Granted, it just doesn't seem right to put a glass encased tree in a Wade, but when you are looking for major weight savings without compromising strength, it just makes sense, and man, are they nice to build on! When finished, the tree weighed about 4 lbs. I'm hoping the completed saddle will be under 30 lbs. Just started the saddle today...I'll post the results in about a week. Just curious, what's the lightest saddle any of you out there in Leatherworker land have made?

Jon

glass_tree.JPG

post-5418-1248651877_thumb.jpg

I had a saddle come in at about 30 pounds as well. I shortened the skirts as much as possible so I did not have to add skirt plugs. That will make a big difference in itself. That might be something to consider. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Great looking tree, as usual Jon. The few Wades I have built have all been on fiberglass encased trees built by you........so I reckon I see no problem with it! The customers have all been very pleased, and you are correct........they are very nice to build on.

The lightest saddle I have built thus far was a ranch cutter for my wife. It is 32 pounds ready to ride, including cinches..............it could weigh 30 or a shade less if we took off the iron oxbow stirrups and replaced them with lighter stirrups.

JW

Jon,I built a cutter That wieghed 28 lbs. For Bobby Nelson.It was built on a rawhide covered tree,Skirt rigged with no rear housings.Made with 12 oz. skirting

Here is a picture of it

cutter.jpg

Great looking tree. I have fiberglassed a few now also. T Lighter leather, no extras and you willl get it to 30 pounds. I build quite a few like lighter ones.

Jon,

I made a wade youth saddle that weighed 23 lbs fully rigged with stirrups and cinchas. Last winter I made a full sized saddle on a 14" wide low moose that finished out at 26 lbs. The tree weighed 13 lbs! It would have been nice to have a lighter weight tree for that saddle.

Keith

Kelly_leaning_on_seat.jpgWDC_saddle.jpg

23 # youth saddle

Paula_Venuto_left_side__Large_.JPG

28 # saddle on 12" assoc

Jim_Blackstone_right_side__Large_.JPG

26# low moose

post-5801-1248708942_thumb.jpg

post-5801-1248709420_thumb.jpg

post-5801-1248709547_thumb.jpg

post-5801-1248710031_thumb.jpg

Just an update on the lightweight I started last Sunday afternoon. As of Fri.evening, everything was done with the exception of the breast collar. Minus the breast collar, stirrups, and front cinch, it weighed in at 27 lbs. This was still accomplished using 13-15 oz. Herman Oak skirting and my full size round skirt pattern. The skirting was a bit on the light side however.

JW,

Just like you, I sure like building on these trees...super smooth with all edges well defined. Some makers take exception to glassed trees as you well know...I'll do rawhide or glass, makes no difference to me.

Andy,

I would like to see one of your glassed trees sometime. What's the lightest tree you've made?

Steve,

I love to see your work. From what I've gathered, as well as being a fine craftsman you are a very efficient builder as well.

Keith,

Your work is always very inspiring! Your artistry is to be studied, I always learn from your work. I'll bet that was one proud young feller in that picture!

Frank,

Thanks much for your input as well!

I'll try and get finished pics up before me and the family head out on our road trip out west on Tues!

Jon

Laurie_G.JPG

post-5418-1249187778_thumb.jpg