OdinUK

Another hello from the UK

Hi All,

Im Paul from Herefordshire in the UK. Im new to leatherworking, I was given a lot of leatherworking tools by my grandmother, along with some books. Im going to start learning leatherworking soon (hopefully this month) and hope to do a couple of short practical courses.

I would like to learn leather carving and making replica leather armour from medieval times. Im also interested in making articles from rabbit pelts. I have joined the forum hoping that I can learn from others, and I'll post pictures as I progress.

This is a great site with helpful folks so Welcome Aboard!There are many highly qualified craftspersons and I have learned alot of excellant tips and techniques! Good Luck!

Welcome, OdinUK,

Lots of helpful folks here and tutorials to do. Included are some other fine folk from the UK also.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Regis

Welcome, Paul - come in and soak up some knowledge!

I visited Herefordshire for the first time in June . . . what a wonderful county! Not very mobile-phone friendly (in my experience!), but that's not a bad thing when you're on holiday!

Hi and welcome!! Viking hails from Sweden;-!

Sure is the right place to come to for learning.

We love pics and it is a good aid when you ask for specific help.

Tom

Thanks all! Its a large forum with lots of info, it might take me a while to find my way but I'll certainly be looking at the tutorials.

@Celticleather, I don't suppose you were in Bishops Frome in Herefordshire? I get zero phone reception when I go there! I was in your neck of the woods at Knebworth this weekend:)

@TomSwede, Do you like and rock/metal bands from Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia? I like several of them. I also visited Solvesborg last year, I really like what I saw in Sweden.

Hi Paul,

I'm just up the road from you in Ludlow, Shropshire. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

Ray

@Celticleather, I don't suppose you were in Bishops Frome in Herefordshire? I get zero phone reception when I go there! I was in your neck of the woods at Knebworth this weekend:)

We stayed in a cottage in Llangarron, but we might as well have been on the dark side of the Moon!

I live just 3½ miles from Knebworth as the crow flies, and we heard most of the concert in our back garden! :rockon:

We stayed in a cottage in Llangarron, but we might as well have been on the dark side of the Moon!

I live just 3½ miles from Knebworth as the crow flies, and we heard most of the concert in our back garden! :rockon:

Llangarron is the dark side of the Brecon Beacons isn't it? last time I was down that way there was no TV, radio or phone reception and lots of people with huge boots and automatic weapons... hmmmm.

Llangarron is the dark side of the Brecon Beacons isn't it? last time I was down that way there was no TV, radio or phone reception and lots of people with huge boots and automatic weapons... hmmmm.

Sounds pretty much like it! :yes:

That must be close to Sennybridge, Ive been shooting up there occasionally on the MoD traing ranges.

Yep, the festival was pretty good, and loud, Metallica must have played for over 2 hours.

Yeah there are some good metal bands around here that I like.

Never make it to festivals though.

Tom

I finally found the toos that my gran gave to me several years ago. The edge beveler and swivel knife require sharpening but the other tools seem fine. After reading some of the books I have and posts on the forum I realise I need a few more items to get started. Some of which are : a mallet, marble or granite slab, a couple more tools for embossing, needles and lace for stitching and tools for knife sharpening etc.

If theres anything that I dont have but are important please let me know.

tools_002.jpg

tools_003.jpg

tools_004.jpg

post-11335-1249993371_thumb.jpg

post-11335-1249993407_thumb.jpg

post-11335-1249993449_thumb.jpg

hello. im from england too! london to be exact. whats the thing about rabbit pelts? u have been goven a nice selection of tools! you know to be cheap you can just go to a tile /kitchen shop and geta free sample of granite or hard tile. they are only about 10 x 10 cm but wotrk fine. bit cheaper for while you start! Thants about all i know! :)

lily

Hi Lilyc, I go shooting (although Ive not done much this year) and Ive just been learning to tan the pelt, preserving the fur. Why waste it if it can be used. The first two attemps were not very good, its a little stiff. Once I get it right Id like to make a fur mantle and possibly vambraces with the fur. I dont know if vambraces ever had fur on them but Id like to make some. Its somthing Im sure Manowar and Turisas fans would appreciate;)

What type of armour do you make? Im interested in all types of leather armour. Theres a place in london that sells armour, Ive never been but the articles look very good, see:

http://www.battle-ready.com/index.htm

Hi Paul. I'm up in Scotland. If you need any help give me a shout. Didnotice you never mentioned tooling leather. Good set of tools there, your basically set to go. Nice website too.

Hi Paul. I'm up in Scotland. If you need any help give me a shout. Didnotice you never mentioned tooling leather. Good set of tools there, your basically set to go. Nice website too.

Thanks Scottishshoemaker! Still need a few more essentials, but waiting for payday (today!) before I buy them.

Thanks Scottishshoemaker! Still need a few more essentials, but waiting for payday (today!) before I buy them.

pm me your address I could send some tooling leather (a few sq foot) to practise on before you go mad and order 3-4 cows!!

welcome,

im sure you will be able to get some answers around here.