yan

pattern transfert

I have been using transparancy printed patterns for the last couple years. They work great. The trick is that you must use a laser printer. I do mine on a copy machine. I do not have trouble with ink rub off or bleading because laser printers burn the image into the papar. I did once try using my ink jet printer and got a smeary mess. I typically only use my printed patterns once because it is so easy to just print another one when I need it. I have near zero ability to draw my own patterns so all of my work is done using pre-printed patterns (Chan Geer is great for these). I scan them into the computer, adjust the size to what I need and then print them. The totally clear transparancy paper is much easier to work with then the hazy velum paper.

Aaron

So what I am getting from this so far is that an inkjet will allow you to transfer the ink directly to the leather, wipe off and reuse the transparancy sheet. A laserjet will create a permaent pattern that you can trace onto multiple pieces of leather. Does that sound right?

I have been using transparancy printed patterns for the last couple years. They work great. The trick is that you must use a laser printer. I do mine on a copy machine. I do not have trouble with ink rub off or bleading because laser printers burn the image into the papar. I did once try using my ink jet printer and got a smeary mess.

If you use an inkjet printer, the leather needs to be dry when you transfer it. (See my earlier post.) But thanks for answering our question about whether you could transfer a pattern that was printed onto the transparency with a laserjet printer. Sounds like it will work if the leather is wet.

So what I am getting from this so far is that an inkjet will allow you to transfer the ink directly to the leather, wipe off and reuse the transparancy sheet. A laserjet will create a permaent pattern that you can trace onto multiple pieces of leather. Does that sound right?

Yes.

Kate