MADMAX22

Tried Hermann Oak today

Well got a side from Kevin at springfeild and must say this is some fun stuff to tool.

Just took a piece off of it for now and was playing around. This leather is pretty different from the wicket and craig I tried (which was also very nice). Herman oak seems to be a really ferm temper which at first kind of made me wonder but just from doing a quick case and started carving and the knife glides thru it smoothly and easily. Stamps with a ease and bevels very nicely.

Definatly a must try to anyone thinking of ordering some that havnt tried herman oak yet.

Just had to post my comments as now Im really looking forward to getting some projects underway with this stuff.

Hey Mad that's good to hear I just ordered some myself, since I'm doing more tooling and running out of the Tandy stuff I started with, can't wait to try it!!

Eric

You should enjoy it. Some of the higher end tandy stuff is pretty nice if you can find it in the stores but the price is pretty high for the royal meadow stuff. I just wasnt a big fan of tooling the tandy line.

The feel of the HO is far different so make sure you practice on a few smaller pieces first to get the feel of it. I can see why the holster guys like to use it.

I just ordered and are currently under way here from Kevin, 5 sides of HO. I went through one side of HO already and you are right...................what a difference. Pretty good price as well.

Well got a side from Kevin at springfeild and must say this is some fun stuff to tool.

Just took a piece off of it for now and was playing around. This leather is pretty different from the wicket and craig I tried (which was also very nice). Herman oak seems to be a really ferm temper which at first kind of made me wonder but just from doing a quick case and started carving and the knife glides thru it smoothly and easily. Stamps with a ease and bevels very nicely.

Definatly a must try to anyone thinking of ordering some that havnt tried herman oak yet.

Just had to post my comments as now Im really looking forward to getting some projects underway with this stuff.

Could I get the information from you on Kevin in Springfield? I'd like to give this leather a try next time I order. Send it to me by email if its not a problem. Thanks

Click on a "Springfield Leather" ad on the top of the page or call 1-800-668-5818

I recently bought a side of Hermann Oak and a side of Wickett & Craig. I like the HO better, but hate using it for anything that will be black. I hate covering that beautiful tan color. It may be me, but has anyone noticed W&C being "grabby" for lack of a better term? My knife wants to stutter instead of glide, even after stropping. Doesn't happen with HO.

I recently bought a side of Hermann Oak and a side of Wickett & Craig. I like the HO better, but hate using it for anything that will be black. I hate covering that beautiful tan color. It may be me, but has anyone noticed W&C being "grabby" for lack of a better term? My knife wants to stutter instead of glide, even after stropping. Doesn't happen with HO.

Ive tried both and really think that WC and HO are the two best leathers I have used so far. Yes the HO seems to let the knife work its wonder very easily. It has a harder fermer temper that tends to want to hold its shape more hence easier cutting (IMO).

The WC I got was a looser grain on top which I dont know how to explain it but it seemed fluffier. I used a slicker on the leather before carving and I use one of those ceramic blades and did not have any issue cutting it. The one thing I noticed about WC was that you could get a little rounder edges so your carving (IMO) seemed like they were easier to get a more 3D effect, they kind of popped out a bit (hard to explain).

I use a ceramic blade too. I have no complaints about the way W&C tools, just that "tacky" feeling when cutting. Think I prefer HO, though overall.