Sign in to follow this  
flyingcuda

beer cozy

does anyone know what would be the best way to make a beer cozy? hubby's bday is coming and i thought i would attempt to try it. i would need to know all the details..best leather weight...size..what would you use for the liner...and sewing, lacing or glue. i am running out of time otherwise i would just give it a shot in the dark. any help would be greatly appreciated...thank you

Got just the thing and easy to make. Use 8 ounce leather and lace everything together with a whip stitch.

The sheet is on a 11 x 17 Tabloid and can be printed at any print shop. Just remind them to set the page scaling to NONE.

Enjoy.

Cowboy_Cooler.pdf

Cowboy_Cooler.JPG

Cowboy_Cooler.pdf

post-141-1249667738_thumb.jpg

does anyone know what would be the best way to make a beer cozy? hubby's bday is coming and i thought i would attempt to try it. i would need to know all the details..best leather weight...size..what would you use for the liner...and sewing, lacing or glue. i am running out of time otherwise i would just give it a shot in the dark. any help would be greatly appreciated...thank you

Bottle or can?

Generally you can get the foam can coozies almost anywhere- kmart, wallyworld, & anywhere they are giving away promotional crap (hats, keychains, etc- and they're free at these events). Usually you can find foam coozies in the sporting goods sections of these stores. If you don't see them, ask.

Make a paper pattern around the outside, cut your leather slightly oversize to allow for the additional thickness, do your tooling, staining & finishing (3-5 oz is a good weight), re-wrap to see if the leather has stretched. Trim so that it will be a snug fit, sew or lace up. Insert the foam liner inside.

Quick & dirty! :thumbsup:

(or, you can get complicated, get a sheet of foam & do your own liner, but why make extra work if you don't have to? You can also use heavier leather & do without the liner & attach a leather band at the bottom so the can won't fall out or you can actually sew a full bottom on...)

russ

I do mine like Russ.I just buy the foam inserts and make a leather wrap,sometimes sewn but usually just a couple of snaps.Dave

usncoozie.jpg

this is one I did many years ago with a cobra inlay

cooziecobra.jpg

I have tried the other method of everything built in and while good, it dosen't last with a good drinker,lol. this way you can change out the inserts easily

Just as WhineWhine explained. Michael's sell the foam Koozie's for .66 cents each in different colors. I then used a craftaid with a Boston Terrier and just added a geometric tool to take up the rest of the space because a wallet craft aid will be a little smaller in circumference size.

Also, here is a bottle koozie from a pattern given to our guild members last year from one of our saddle & boot shops. Apparently, they cannot keep them in stock.

KOOZIE_1.jpg

Koozie_2008__2_.JPG

post-6330-1249702690_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1249702793_thumb.jpg

Edited by King's X

Just as WhineWhine explained. Michael's sell the foam Koozie's for .66 cents each in different colors. I then used a craftaid with a Boston Terrier and just added a geometric tool to take up the rest of the space because a wallet craft aid will be a little smaller in circumference size.

Also, here is a bottle koozie from a pattern given to our guild members last year from one of our saddle & boot shops. Apparently, they cannot keep them in stock.

Hello King's X

Do you have a pattern for the bottle koozie that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks!

David

Bottle or can?

Generally you can get the foam can coozies almost anywhere- kmart, wallyworld, & anywhere they are giving away promotional crap (hats, keychains, etc- and they're free at these events). Usually you can find foam coozies in the sporting goods sections of these stores. If you don't see them, ask.

Make a paper pattern around the outside, cut your leather slightly oversize to allow for the additional thickness, do your tooling, staining & finishing (3-5 oz is a good weight), re-wrap to see if the leather has stretched. Trim so that it will be a snug fit, sew or lace up. Insert the foam liner inside.

Quick & dirty! :thumbsup:

(or, you can get complicated, get a sheet of foam & do your own liner, but why make extra work if you don't have to? You can also use heavier leather & do without the liner & attach a leather band at the bottom so the can won't fall out or you can actually sew a full bottom on...)

russ

'Cuda: I forgot to mention that on joining the leather on the back side, I don't overlap and snap, like DCKNIVES. I do a butt joint, run a series of holes on both sides & do a cross-stitch with thread. You could also overlap, skive both sides & use rivets, or sew/lace using a running stitch. If riveting, you can set on a small anvil placed inside the coozie.

russ

Hello King's X

Do you have a pattern for the bottle koozie that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks!

David

Let me find the paper pattern and check with the designer to release it. I will scan it and email it if you PM an email address.

thank you everyone for all the tips and help! my hubby doesn't want the foam inside...he says he doesnt really need it because his beer doesnt really get a chance to get warm ;) he wants just a holder for it instead with it not going all the way around...so i will try my hand at lacing the side and bottom. thank you all again so much :You_Rock_Emoticon:

thank you everyone for all the tips and help! my hubby doesn't want the foam inside...he says he doesnt really need it because his beer doesnt really get a chance to get warm ;) he wants just a holder for it instead with it not going all the way around...so i will try my hand at lacing the side and bottom. thank you all again so much :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Ah! You're in luck then. The Cowboy Cooler doesn't use the foam insert and it's design helps keep it from getting knocked over after not letting several cans of adult beverage not have a chance to get warm.

Did that that make any sense or do I need my medication refilled?

Edited by Jim

Would you be willing to share the bottle pattern?