Hellbentforleather

How to get my holes to line up correctly.

I am new to leather tooling but I am a tattoo artist so I have a good art background. I am making my first solo motorcycle seat. My question is if I my top piece is bigger than the bottom piece to give me space for the 1/2" neoprene padding how do I do the holes so they line up correctly? Any help wold be greatly appreciated. Thank you J.P. :whatdoyouthink:

Copied and pasted from one of my other posts...

Once I glue the foam to the pan, I make a pattern for the top piece, including hole spacing. If I'm going to use 1/4" lace, then I space the holes 1/4" apart and about the same from the edge. I then cut out a pattern for the bottom of the seat, tack the two patterns together while still on the seat. Mark your holes for the bottom piece from the holes for the top piece...it takes time but this works best for me.

Thanks for the info I will try it that way! I have heard other people talk about one number of holes on top and another on the bottom and to me that doesnt seem right.

Thanks for the info I will try it that way! I have heard other people talk about one number of holes on top and another on the bottom and to me that doesnt seem right.

Also getting into seats lately and any more feedback on this topic would be appreciated.

So I guess you do the top of the seat pattern on paper and the bottom on paper.. and like.. scortch tape them both together all the way around and mark off the holes? Makes sense to me

Some times it seems, we of limited talent also possess a very limited common sense. If we offend due to our limited qualities, please type slower and often and we will eventually grasp the concept. Pictures and a more finely detailed sharing of your extraordinary skills will one day turn on a light in we lesser ones. Thank you, very much.

Copied and pasted from one of my other posts...

Once I glue the foam to the pan, I make a pattern for the top piece, including hole spacing. If I'm going to use 1/4" lace, then I space the holes 1/4" apart and about the same from the edge. I then cut out a pattern for the bottom of the seat, tack the two patterns together while still on the seat. Mark your holes for the bottom piece from the holes for the top piece...it takes time but this works best for me.

BRAVO Harley Chef, you got it exactly right.

Dave

David, I like your newly updated website! Just went to it. Nice.

BRAVO Harley Chef, you got it exactly right.

Dave

David, I like your newly updated website! Just went to it. Nice.

Thanks,

I can take no credit for the website, only the content..... The site was designed by Studio 2 Dawgs. Also known as Citizen Kate here on LW and Kate Dubiel on Facebook

She did a great job.

Dave

Edited by David