KenE

First bike seat

Here is my first bike seat ever (not to mention my second carving experience). Some things I am happy with, others I am really disappointed about. Hopefully someone will like it enough to buy it to cover materials for the next one. I think the lacing came out pretty good (uneven in spots) but I know I can improve this. The biggest let downs for me are the wrinkles in the seat top, and the nicks and scratches in the top that soak up the dye to create the little pock marks seen in the photos. I'd also think I should have backgrounded the designs, and used more even beveling. All I can say is I have my mind set to only buy high quality leather from now on! I had bought this leather before beginning the hobby and it was a clearance of low grade import leather. I think the money I saved was traded by misery in casing, tooling, and dyeing!

Any other critique? I appreciate any advice or help offered.

DSC01673__Small_.JPG

DSC01675__Small_.JPG

DSC01677__Small_.JPG

DSC01678__Small_.JPG

DSC01680__Small_.JPG

DSC01681__Small_.JPG

~Ken

post-11255-1250206846_thumb.jpg

post-11255-1250206850_thumb.jpg

post-11255-1250206854_thumb.jpg

post-11255-1250206868_thumb.jpg

post-11255-1250206871_thumb.jpg

post-11255-1250206875_thumb.jpg

Cool man, keep at it . Score some of that HO from Springfield Leather,you won't be disappointed.

Nice Job Ken!

If you want to practice on a bicycle seat, let me know, I have a couple candidates that could use some new "skin".

-Dan

Seat looks pretty good for your first one. The lacing is good also.

Ive realized that you need to get decent leather when possible as it makes it so much easier to get better results. As stated HO from springfeild, WandC, waterhouse has some nice specials on veg tan occasionaly I got a couple of there double backs for $2.95swft and they are pretty good. Even tandy has some nice leather if you get the oak leaf or better and can hand pick it. There royal meadow is pretty nice but pricey. Thats all the ones I have tried so far. For the price the HO seems to be the best IMHO so far.

Ken,

That's a pretty good start. Much better than my first seat. I kept cutting leather off and re-making the seat until I had one I liked. I made four before I had one that I would show anyone. So take heart and keep working at it.

Dave

Thanks everyone for the advice and kind words. I called Springfield and they seem really cool over there and I think their current special for HO leather sounds like a sweet deal.

~Ken