I am very new to hand tooling and hand dying leather. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on my question.....

Can you dye leather and then use a resist over the dye to antique the leather. I use Feibings Prof. Oil dye and then we use the Feibings Antique paste. Using the paste

darkens the leather I have already dyed, which makes sense, so I am wondering if I can use a resist on leather that has been dyed?

Also, the leather I am tooling is being used for furniture can anyone suggest a finish that is matte but will seal the leather and the dye.

Thank you Thank you for any suggestions and advice...this is my first post, but I have learned tons from this forum and am grateful to all of you for sharing your knowledge!!

yes you can- and welcome!

That's the way it is normally done. oil the piece when you have finished, let it dry, dye the piece, let it dry, and apply a resist, let it dry, and apply antique. (let it dry!)

then buff and apply finish- I like neutral shoe polish for many things.

pete

I am very new to hand tooling and hand dying leather. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on my question.....

Can you dye leather and then use a resist over the dye to antique the leather. I use Feibings Prof. Oil dye and then we use the Feibings Antique paste. Using the paste

darkens the leather I have already dyed, which makes sense, so I am wondering if I can use a resist on leather that has been dyed?

Also, the leather I am tooling is being used for furniture can anyone suggest a finish that is matte but will seal the leather and the dye.

Thank you Thank you for any suggestions and advice...this is my first post, but I have learned tons from this forum and am grateful to all of you for sharing your knowledge!!

Hi meg, welcome to LeatherWorker!

Yes, you can use a resist over your dye job to resist the antique. In fact, that's what a lot of people do.

The basic choices for both the resist and the finish are acrylic (such as the *shene products), wax (such as shoe polish, bee-natural, or carnauba creme), or lacquer (which is hard to find, these days). Some finishes also make good resist agents. They all do a good job of sealing the dyes and antiques and preventing bleeding, fading, and rub-off. Some are more moisture-resistant than others. Wax and lacquer are more moisture-resistant than acrylic.

I'm sure others will chime in here, presently...

Kate

yes you can- and welcome!

That's the way it is normally done. oil the piece when you have finished, let it dry, dye the piece, let it dry, and apply a resist, let it dry, and apply antique. (let it dry!)

then buff and apply finish- I like neutral shoe polish for many things.

pete

Hi Pete

thanks for your quick reply...can I apply neatsfool oil after we antique and will that seal the leather? What finishes do you recommend for us to start experimenting with.

Again thank you very much!

Hi meg, welcome to LeatherWorker!

Yes, you can use a resist over your dye job to resist the antique. In fact, that's what a lot of people do.

The basic choices for both the resist and the finish are acrylic (such as the *shene products), wax (such as shoe polish, bee-natural, or carnauba creme), or lacquer (which is hard to find, these days). Some finishes also make good resist agents. They all do a good job of sealing the dyes and antiques and preventing bleeding, fading, and rub-off. Some are more moisture-resistant than others. Wax and lacquer are more moisture-resistant than acrylic.

I'm sure others will chime in here, presently...

Kate

Hi Kate

Thank you tons!

What products work well as a resist and a finish? I have read a lot of people use neatsfoolt oil to seal the leather after it is dyed and antiqued...unless I totally misunderstood.

Thanks so much

Meg

I do use neats after I tool and dye.

I never put it on after antique unless it is an OLD piece(years) that really needs re- oiling.

If you oil properly before the final finish then you shouldn't have to oil again.

Be careful not to use too much oil though. Just a light application and let it soak in, If it's splotchy then another coat is good to even it out.

It's always best to use a little a few times!

After the piece is finished you can use shoe polish as I wrote earlier, or something that I like like Bee Natural's RTC. It's a resist and a finish and neutral KIWI shoe polish over it.

The "sheen" products work well I've heard but I keep it simple.

tool on!

pete

Thank you for your help. I will post my results!

I have attached a picture of our first piece of furniture...it is a tooled octopus on a hand made metal base.

Our dye was rubbing off when we stretched the piece of leather....we have some experimenting to do. Thanks so much!

octopus_table.jpg

octopus_2.jpg

post-11386-1250554002_thumb.jpg

post-11386-1250554045_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's really lovely! Well done!

Thank you for your help. I will post my results!

I have attached a picture of our first piece of furniture...it is a tooled octopus on a hand made metal base.

Our dye was rubbing off when we stretched the piece of leather....we have some experimenting to do. Thanks so much!

Meg, I love the design - WOW! But it looks like there are some issues to resolve with the execution. I'm glad you shared it because of how different it is from the usual thing we see. Can't wait to see more of your work. What did you end up using for a finish?

Kate

Meg, I love the design - WOW! But it looks like there are some issues to resolve with the execution. I'm glad you shared it because of how different it is from the usual thing we see. Can't wait to see more of your work. What did you end up using for a finish?

Kate

Hi Kate

Thanks so much. There are many issues to resolve with the execution. I would love to know what you see that needs to be worked on....I know the dying was an issue and I am running many experiments now, but please share what else you see as

I could you a lot of guidance from people who have been doing this longer.

On this piece we used bag kote as a finish....but the problem I think we had is I didn't allow enough drying time between

steps...so nothing really had time to set. Anyway I am running a bunch of tests and hopefully I will nail down a system.

Thanks for you input and I truely welcome more as I am soooooooooo new to tooling and I love it!

Meg