medicdave

Duke style retaining strap

Hey all, been lurking for a while, but first post. I'm interested in building some holsters of the John Wayne persuasion. I've worked uot making my patterns and stiching, but the retaining strap that encircles the body of the holster and attaches to the belt loop has me stumped. How does it attach to the flap and allow stitching, it looks like te body of the holster would get in the way. Thanks for all the help in advance....Dave

singleloop07C.JPG

Dave

Nice job! good clean lines and good stitch lines. Thanks for the post

Happy tooling

Tim

Dave

Nice job! good clean lines and good stitch lines. Thanks for the post

Happy tooling

Tim

As much as I'd like to say its mine, that just an example of want I want to do. Need help attaching the belt loop retention strap.

Dave,

I do not make western holsters but I think your answer can be found in Al Stohlman's book "How to Make Holsters" which can be found at Springfield Leather and other fine leatherworking outlets.

Good luck,

Carl

The the few I've done I used Chicago screws on the flap to the strap. Hope that helps.

I would suggest you get a copy of John Bianchi's "Western Holster Making" DVDs. It will help you tremendously if you're just getting started with western rigs.

Just ordered the Bianchi set. The chicago screws is a good idea, but I'd like to stick with stitching. Any other ideas to work with untill the dvd's get here?

What tools do you currently have? I would recommend the following list if you don't already have these items on top of your normal sewing kit:

Bees Wax

Duck Cloth/Canvas

Small and Large Edger

Stitch Groover

Stitch Marking Wheel

If you have a drill press or a drill, this set of Sanding drums will come in really handy for evening up the edges with the welt:

http://grizzly.com/products/16-pc-Long-Sanding-Drum-Set/G2501

Then practice stitching and edging as much as you can until you're happy with the results. Have fun and be sure to post pictures of your holsters!

Medic Dave.... I have attached the holster loop to the back of the holster flap with copper burr rivets, or by sewing with nylon thread. The rivets are faster, easier and surdier. I suggest that if you are going to try and stitch it on, you use a sewing awl/spool set up, (like tandy sells), as it will be easier that trying to saddle stitch inside the loop.

The copper burr rivets are cheap, easy to use and do not look bad. Most folks will never look/see that side of the holster anyway.

Remember... my advise/experience is worth every penny you paid for it... :)

Good luck.

-Tac

you stitch that flap to the back of the holster / belt loop while the holster is not inside the loop.

puch all holes before stitching. take 2 stitching needles and cut them down if you have to so you can clear the flap when stitching.

just stitch as normal.

after all stitching is done wet form the holster by getting it wet but not soaking. shove the holster in the flap continue to shape the holster whith hands by opening it up as much as you can. then stick your unloaded handgun inside a plastic bag and stuff it into the holster and continue to form the holster to fit the handgun as you want it to fit.

john b. videos are good but i dont like his finishing techniques.

i do not use neetsfoot oil on my holsters. i do oil the holsters but not like he does on the video.

When I make this holster, I use 5/6 oz leather. It is fully lined, and has an integral loop going down the back (invisible in this picture).

Before I sew the flap together, I put in 2 Chicago screw female parts to hold the front holster strap.

I then cut my strap, press it into the screw parts, punch the holes, and install the male screw parts to hold on the holster front strap.

When it is done, you cannot see any part of the Chicago screw, and there are no stitches on the back of the belt loop. I do this because I have never quite gotten my hand stitching to be a pretty as I would like it to become, . . . and the Chicago screws do a great job of holding it where it needs to be. Just remember to add a small drop of clear finger nail polish into the female screw part, . . . it'll keep the male part from backing out.

May God bless,

Dwight

PS: Edited to add: Attatch the front strap without the holster being in the loop. Tighten the screws real good. Cover the screw heads with a long piece of masking tape. Wet the holster real good (not quite soaked, . . . but close) and carefully, with clean hands, with careful hands, bend the holster and force it into the strap. Pull it down into the loop, and then form the holster with the gun, mallet and rod, . . . whatever. Don't forget to pull out the masking tape, . . . it just keeps the Chicago screws from marking up the back of the holster below the belt loop. Hope this helps

Edited by Dwight