Sign in to follow this  
rickeyfro

Swivel Knife Blade Sharpening Jig

Can you guys tell me first if you use a swivel knife blade jig to sharpen, and if so can you recomend one. I use a Barry King Knife and a Chuck Smith mostly. Thanks Rick

Hi Rickey,

The only time I've ever found it handy to use a jig was in sharpening some old blades that the angles were completely destroyed on. The one thing that I don't like about the jigs, is that they leave the blade with the abrasive marks running the wrong way on the blade. But, in they're defense, they make it easy to put the proper angle on a blade, or restore an edge. I've always made sure that I go back and forth sideways with my blade, on a very fine stone, to get rid of the vertical abrasive marks. Then I polish, or strop, or what ever. It's kind of surprising the difference that it makes, and the blade seems to stay smooth longer. I'm sure everyone has their own tricks tho...

Kevin

Hi Rickey,

The only time I've ever found it handy to use a jig was in sharpening some old blades that the angles were completely destroyed on. The one thing that I don't like about the jigs, is that they leave the blade with the abrasive marks running the wrong way on the blade. But, in they're defense, they make it easy to put the proper angle on a blade, or restore an edge. I've always made sure that I go back and forth sideways with my blade, on a very fine stone, to get rid of the vertical abrasive marks. Then I polish, or strop, or what ever. It's kind of surprising the difference that it makes, and the blade seems to stay smooth longer. I'm sure everyone has their own tricks tho...

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, Im gonna try the side to side

I bought one and used it on the blades once. Since then I never have had to go to anything courser then 1000grit and stropping. Honestly even with my minimal experience I can get a good angle by hand. I think if I ever move to stoning a blade I would use the jig though for that until I got to the finer sand paper and stropping then it goes in the knife and is done by hand.

Thats just my experience though.

Rick,

I sharpen using a graver's jig. I bought mine from ebay. It allows an infinite angle setting and you can sharpen on a stone or from the side of the stone with the jig on your worktable and the blade on the stone. Meaning you can go vertically along the blade and horizontal if you wish. I got mine on eBay for like 10 bucks. It can be used for your awl blades, touching up exacto blades... you name it. I generally mark the existing angle using a sharpie. Then I find that angle and duplicate it. If the blade angle is hosed up, I set the angle and get to work.

Allen

I sharpened free hand for years and have now returned to using a jig. I like the "Big Red" that Chuck Smith sells the best. I really don't worry about the abrasions running perpendicular to the blade because I use a series of grits resulting in a high polish. I would like to have a graver sharpener but have never invested in one.

Bobby