frank207

cutting small items with curves

Hi,

I want to start cutting my own key fobs, hair barrettes, rifle slings, etc. from 3-9 oz tooling leather. What type of scissors/shears or other tool/s would be good for these projects?

Thanks

Frank

Hi,

I want to start cutting my own key fobs, hair barrettes, rifle slings, etc. from 3-9 oz tooling leather. What type of scissors/shears or other tool/s would be good for these projects?

Thanks

Frank

Rather than shears, I use a strap cutter for strapping, and a head knife for all detail work. I have also used x-acto knives with good results.

if you are going to be making a bunch of the same shapes, I'd consider investing in a cheap shop press and get some dies made up of the shapes. this way you can click out a bunch of shapes quickly and efficiently.

Hi.... it's gotta be an exacto #11 blade. But Marlon is right on. Depending on why you're wanting to cut those particular shapes, and how many of them you anticipate using, you might want to investigate buying them outright. We produce thousands of those things for various people and groups, and depending on your needs, you might be able to buy them cheaper than you can cut them. (really) :)

Kevin@Springfieldleather.com

Head knife, with the blade well sharpened, especially at the tips. I score the surface along the traced cutting line, then dig the tip into the leather and follow along the curves until I reach a straightaway. Then, I roll the curved portion of the head knife along the straightaways, until the end is reached.