Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone,

It's made of 7-9oz horsehide, but it's not distressed and beat-up looking! This is my very first cartridge belt of any kind, so I learned a lot making it and I know several things I will never do again :P. For one thing, I really need to scrounge up the money for oblong punches. Anyway, this belt holds sixteen 12ga. shotgun shells at a far-enough distance apart to grab onto with gloves on your numb hands, since the buddy of mine who asked for it will be duck hunting in a marsh in Illinois this winter (as he does every winter). I obviously did not weave the shell strip through the main body of the belt, because I didn't have an oblong punch to make the slots. This was also made with only one layer of leather because hand-stitching one belt has scared my fingers, haha. Anyway, here it is--be gentle

belt_finished2.JPG

post-9937-125489312902_thumb.jpg

Edited by NoahL

Looks pretty good! I like the decorative 12ga. case heads. You don't have to have the $ for an oblong punches. If you have hole punches use them to make an oblong hole. Punch a hole the width of the slot you want and I use a chisel point exacto knife to cut between the holes and voila! Instant slot. Try it you will like the result I think and no punches to buy and maintain.

I like the belt, looks good. Where did you get the 12ga. case heads? They make the belt.

Thanks, both of you! TT, I'll try your suggestion one of these days when I need slots--that may just work. As for the 12 gauge heads, I got those at Tandy, believe it or not. I knew I had seen them somewhere before, so I sifted through the conchos and there they were!

~Noah

Thanks, both of you! TT, I'll try your suggestion one of these days when I need slots--that may just work. As for the 12 gauge heads, I got those at Tandy, believe it or not. I knew I had seen them somewhere before, so I sifted through the conchos and there they were!

~Noah

Aha! I thought I had seen them stocked somewhere. But honestly I thought maybe they were something you made. I was already scheming on cutting down some hulls and using a #14 copper rivet through the primer pocket for mine!

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!

Aha! I thought I had seen them stocked somewhere. But honestly I thought maybe they were something you made. I was already scheming on cutting down some hulls and using a #14 copper rivet through the primer pocket for mine!

Well, I haven't done it, but I have seen it done, so don't give up on your scheming!

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!