Sign in to follow this  
whinewine

How long to make a mystery braid belt?

I promised to make my wife a mystery braid belt, now that our last show is done. However, right now I can't for the life of me locate/find the formula for the proper length to start with, so that it comes out to the correct waist size when all braided. This would be for the 3-braid, NOT the 5-braid belt.

Can anyone help me?

This would be greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

Thanks.

russ

Ya know, I used to toy with these back when I was young and skinny. As you and I figured out they loose length when braided. So, the simple solution is to (get ready for the D'OH!) cut out one that's 12 inches long and braid it. Re-measure to find out how much it "shrunk" and use that as a formula to figure out how long to make the belt before it's braided.

With all I know to be right and true in the world, that ought to work.

Jim

Russ

I don't think ya will lose that much especially with only using three strands and it being a flat braid. It will also depend on the length your braiding and how thick your leather is. I would guess no more than three inches at the most(disclaimer- I've been wrong before). Because after you get done braiding you should set the braid by running it over a piece of pipe and pulling back and forth on it(grain side). Not only will it set your braid but you will get some length back by pulling the stretch out of it. You could always leave your billet end a few extra inches long in case you needed the length after braiding. Let us know how it turns out. (remember my disclaimer)

Mike

I promised to make my wife a mystery braid belt, now that our last show is done. However, right now I can't for the life of me locate/find the formula for the proper length to start with, so that it comes out to the correct waist size when all braided. This would be for the 3-braid, NOT the 5-braid belt.

Can anyone help me?

This would be greatly appreciated. notworthy.gif

Thanks.

russ

In my experience the belt doesn't end up that much shorter. The few I've made actually ended up the same length after wetting down well and evening out all braids and then pulling and smoothing it similarly to what rawhide says. I cut the blank to the proper length, figure the center of the completed belt (with buckle), find the center and cut my strips both ways from that point so that the braid is in the center of the back when worn. This even goes for five strand. Mike

The Boy Scouts Leatherwork Merit Badge book as an example of the belt. In the instructions they recommend adding 1 inch for every 12 inches to be braided.

Fathers Son

I promised to make my wife a mystery braid belt, now that our last show is done. However, right now I can't for the life of me locate/find the formula for the proper length to start with, so that it comes out to the correct waist size when all braided. This would be for the 3-braid, NOT the 5-braid belt. an anyone help me?

Thanks.

russ

you have probably made the belt by now, but heres my two penny worth. The loss in length will depend on the tanage of the leather, how thick the leather is and how wide the belt will be, a 1 1/2" belt will reduce more than you would expect, but with use the belt will settle and stretch and get most of it's length back, in the end I guess it will lose about 1/2" in 6" or 8"

Cheers

Mike

I promised to make my wife a mystery braid belt, now that our last show is done. However, right now I can't for the life of me locate/find the formula for the proper length to start with, so that it comes out to the correct waist size when all braided. This would be for the 3-braid, NOT the 5-braid belt. an anyone help me?

Thanks.

russ

you have probably made the belt by now, but heres my two penny worth. The loss in length will depend on the tanage of the leather, how thick the leather is and how wide the belt will be, a 1 1/2" belt will reduce more than you would expect, but with use the belt will settle and stretch and get most of it's length back, in the end I guess it will lose about 1/2" in 6" or 8"

Cheers

Mike