Gremlin

Push Beveler

I've seen a set of insturctions for a diy push beveler somewhere and be darned if I can find it again. Does anyone have a link to info of this type?

Edited by Gremlin

I've seen a set of insturctions for a diy push beveler somewhere and be darned if I can find it again. Does anyone have a link to info of this type?

Look in Al Stohlman's Leathercraft Tools book. I think it's in there.

Marlon

Thanks Marlon, that's it. On the bottom of page 33 to be exact for anyone else that may be looking.

Do these work? I have always stamped mine so thats why I am asking.

Do these work? I have always stamped mine so thats why I am asking.

I have one I made, out of a bolt and a file handle from Home Depot. The biggest problem I have is exerting enough pressure to bevel, while remaining in control so that I don't jump out of the cut. For that reason, I tend to use mine only on long straight lines on heavier leather with a deeper cut - belt or notebook borders. Mine is steeper than a Craftool which helps it not jump out of the cut (most of the time).

I also use it when I am doing practice pieces or test patterns - for me, it is worth having for that use alone.

What are other people's experience?

robert

I also found it hard to control with enough pressure to actually bevel. I use mine to go over my beveling to smooth it out better.

Just bout of curiosity would anyone mind posting a picture of one? Thanks.

John

I'm not sure this will do exactly what you are looking for!!!! I have taken the blade out of a swivel knife and inserted the end of a beveler tool in it's place. I'm sure this has been done many times as I think I was given the idea by another maker. It will not replace the process of beveling your lines but used as a tool to open up your lines, smooth out rough spots and also in those spots where you just need a little detail.

Hope this helps !

Doug

Here are a couple of push bevelers I have made out of a couple old single edge creasers. One is a single edge and the other a double. You can fix the angle to what works for you.

I picked up the old tools for a couple bucks and used a file to fix the heads.

Hope this helps,

Bev1.jpg

Bev2.jpg

post-5234-1206917303_thumb.jpg

post-5234-1206917491_thumb.jpg