Schno

All that is gold does not glitter...

As a gift for a good friend, I offered up my services to create a slip cover for her sketchbook. She is an avid Tolkien fan, as am I. (He's the 'Lord of the Rings' guy for you non-geeks out there). I included her favorite poem by Tolkien which goes:

All that is gold does not glitter

Not all who wander are lost

The old that is strong does not wither

Deep roots are not touched by the frost

From ashes a fire shall be woken

A light from the shadows shall spring

Renewed shall be blade that was broken

The crownless again shall be king

The poem is written in elvin script along the borders front and back. I included the english translation on the back.

I really enjoyed making this piece and I'm looking forward to more work like this.

Your thoughts and critiques are welcome!

image001.jpg image002.jpg image004.jpg image005.jpg

This is a beautiful done book. i love the script ane the design and layout. very nicely done. gary

Incredible work... Simply amazing man... And thanks for the tip on the stencil burner, that will work perfectly for the bible cover I am making right now. I just had no idea how I was going to do the lettering.. I will post pics when it is done... What color stain/dye did you use on that, I really like the colors you have there too.

Tom Bryant

How did I manage to miss this post???

The cover is absolutly wonderful, very "old world" feeling to the look and I Love the design. I'm sure this one is going to be treassured for decades to come tongue.gif

Wow, props from Tina! That's like getting 'hey, nice shot' from Micheal Jordan :)

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words!

What color stain/dye did you use on that, I really like the colors you have there too.

The spine was done with Eco-flo Canyon Tan, then dry-dyed with Bison Brown. The front and back were done with Fiebing's Tan Leather Stain. The area around the tree was done in the same manner as the spine, but with heavier dry-dye applications.

Edited by Schno

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.