JET4

Weaver

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here. I have learned a ton from you guys so far.:thumbsup:

Ok...I have just started a leather business making dog and hunting gear after doing it for free for years. I have a VERY good local supplier who carries a lot of top notch stuff and has taught me lots of techniques and given me pointers. I don't want to totally cut him out, but I know that I can get supplies much cheaper now that I have my tax numbers.

Anyway, after I got my EIN and state tax number, I immediately filled out a catalog request with Weaver. After getting my catalog, I and am amazed at the markup I've been paying locally. I had a conversation with my local guy the other day and he said he didnt think Weaver would sell to me because I don't have a storefront. So, will Weaver sell to me? On the order form it asks for an account number from the mailing label on the catalog. I have one of those so am I good to go?

Thanks everyone,

JET

Edited by JET4

Weavers will sell you from the supply catalog with what you have. A few years ago I tried to buy some things from the finished product side and that is where the storefront, posted hours, and minimum order deal came in then.

Jet

Weaver sells to everyone and anyone. They do have a minimum. If you don't meet the minimum, they'll charge you a fee. That's ok with me, they have what I need and want.

Call 'em and get a catalog going your way. they're very helpful

Happy tooling

Tim

Weaver has two different catalogs...a supply catalog for leatherworkers and a catalog containing all their finished goods (tack, pet products, etc). You can purchase from their supply catalog without needing a storefront, but they do require a real brick and mortar store to purchase their finished stuff. Have fun!!

Hello Everyone,

I have been interested in Weaver for a while. When speaking about a tax ID, does this mean I would have to start a business? I do this as a hobby and don't have the flow to make the expense of a business license worth it. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I have been interested in Weaver for a while. When speaking about a tax ID, does this mean I would have to start a business? I do this as a hobby and don't have the flow to make the expense of a business license worth it. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks

I just put in my social security number and they sent me a catalog.

CW

I just put in my social security number and they sent me a catalog.

CW

Really? You gave them your S.S. number?! REALLY??? REALLY??? OY!

Really? You gave them your S.S. number?! REALLY??? REALLY??? OY!

Yeah Hilly. They wanted tax id . I figured if it was good enough for the IRS it ought to satisfy Weavers.

CW

Yeah Hilly. They wanted tax id . I figured if it was good enough for the IRS it ought to satisfy Weavers.

CW

I did the same thing and have put in probably 10 orders with them since.

I did the same thing and have put in probably 10 orders with them since.

Wow, last time I called them, they wouldn't even sell me a concho without a tax#. They wanted me to order through a local tractor supply store. I figured they must not want my business or my money, and I took my business and my money elsewhere.

Since I made this post, I have ordered 3 or 4 times from Weaver. I did have to send in my Texas sales tax exemption form before they would send me my order. I have had noting but a great experience from them. By having my sales tax number, I have cut my production cost in half. Just as an example, I was paying 3.50 for a halter snap at a local shop, I now pay 1.39 for the same snap. The retail markup for hardware is unbelieveable. I understand it, but am glad I don't have to pay it anymore.

Since I made this post, I have ordered 3 or 4 times from Weaver. I did have to send in my Texas sales tax exemption form before they would send me my order. I have had noting but a great experience from them. By having my sales tax number, I have cut my production cost in half. Just as an example, I was paying 3.50 for a halter snap at a local shop, I now pay 1.39 for the same snap. The retail markup for hardware is unbelieveable. I understand it, but am glad I don't have to pay it anymore.

How fast is there shipping? Earlier last week, I ordered from them for the first time and haven't received any type of shipping confirmation. Do they even do that?

I live in Virginia, and if I order in the morning,I generally receive my order the next day. It used to take about two weeks. We don't get a confirmation. I think we have dealt with them about 15 years and I can't say I have any complaints. Before Weaver's, if you wanted to buy any hardware at a decent price you had to buy 100 pieces.

Now thinking about it, Weaver's has kind of revolutionized the industry from what it was in the'70s. In only 2 generations, they have gone from an Amish ma and pa shoe repair shop to the mega whatever they are now. I only have experience with the supply side of the business.

Good luck,

Kevin

How fast is there shipping? Earlier last week, I ordered from them for the first time and haven't received any type of shipping confirmation. Do they even do that?

My last order was placed on friday around noon and I recieved it on Wednesday morning. You do have to call them if you want a tracking number and total after shipping was calculated. My shipping cost have been around 11-12 dollars, but I am ordering solid brass hardware.

My last order was placed on friday around noon and I recieved it on Wednesday morning. You do have to call them if you want a tracking number and total after shipping was calculated. My shipping cost have been around 11-12 dollars, but I am ordering solid brass hardware.

I did receive an invoice from them on friday or saturday and in tiny print at the bottom, it did have a fedex tracking number... which indicates that I should have it today. I can't wait!

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here. I have learned a ton from you guys so far.thumbsup.gif

Ok...I have just started a leather business making dog and hunting gear after doing it for free for years. I have a VERY good local supplier who carries a lot of top notch stuff and has taught me lots of techniques and given me pointers. I don't want to totally cut him out, but I know that I can get supplies much cheaper now that I have my tax numbers.

Anyway, after I got my EIN and state tax number, I immediately filled out a catalog request with Weaver. After getting my catalog, I and am amazed at the markup I've been paying locally. I had a conversation with my local guy the other day and he said he didnt think Weaver would sell to me because I don't have a storefront. So, will Weaver sell to me? On the order form it asks for an account number from the mailing label on the catalog. I have one of those so am I good to go?

Thanks everyone,

JET

I, like you, got an EIN last year - in March for me. I ordered a Weaver catalog and received it. Then, in June, I decided to make a field trip to the Weaver location in Mt. Hope, Ohio. I went into their show room and received one on one demonstrations of all their tools in which I am interested. They had a record of my business on file, and I went back into their warehouse to select some leather sides. I ended up with 14 different pieces of leather. The veg tan Sadesa strap sides were the best quality I had ever seen, and I got to hand pick them with the help of one of their employees. I asked about one of their buckles that they have in the catalog but was not in the show room. They got one and gave it to me as a sample. They were very friendly, very helpful, and their prices were quite good. Their products are all first class. I paid for 1,200 + dollars worth of exceptionally good leather with a personal credit card, not a business credit card. No problem. Their headquarters is in the middle of Ohio's Amish country, and is a couple of steps back in time to a 'nicer' America than I'm used to. A good place to explore. Whoever told you Weaver would not sell to you unless you have a store front must have a subjective reason for saying so, and is in error according to the experience I have had with them when purchasing tools and raw materials. I have no idea about their finished goods. Other than being a satisfied customer, I have no other affiliation with Weaver. I highly recommend them.

When you run a business, it is only good practice to obtain the best quality you can for the lowest price. The lower the price and higher the purchase volume per purchase, the greater your profit will be in the long term, as long as you utilize the materials in your final product, that is. That will help you to be successful. If you wish to continue to pay higher prices, your profits will suffer. If you rely on your business for a living, I feel it is your duty to purchase materials at the best price. Contrary to some folks in our government, we are still a capitalistic society. It is no sin to run a business for profit when producing a quality product. My own opinion.

Jim