Sign in to follow this  
8thsinner

Lace cutting from circles

I posted this in leather conversation for some wierd reason before. But here it is again.

I would like to know if anyone has cut using a lace maker 4-5mm lace from a full 3 foot circle.

I used to have a list of circle sizes I get from lace making, but that was mainly using smaller circles anyway.

Anyway...

A 2 foot circle cut from the middle yielding a 4mm lace gave me 79 metres (259') of lace...after stretching, I actually gained nearly 10 metres from stretch alone. But it wasn't even a bad hide really, the width barely changed if it did at all.

I have a calculator on my site that you can use if you want.

http://khww.net/viewpage.php?page_id=4

I posted this in leather conversation for some wierd reason before. But here it is again.

I would like to know if anyone has cut using a lace maker 4-5mm lace from a full 3 foot circle.

I used to have a list of circle sizes I get from lace making, but that was mainly using smaller circles anyway.

Anyway...

A 2 foot circle cut from the middle yielding a 4mm lace gave me 79 metres (259') of lace...after stretching, I actually gained nearly 10 metres from stretch alone. But it wasn't even a bad hide really, the width barely changed if it did at all.

Edited by KnotHead

Can I ask how you calculate the width of string you will end up with after stretching? For example, I cut all my string from a spiral I've cut from the hide. I stretch just before I cut a piece of lace off. But I couldn't imagine cutting a piece of lace and then stretching it. Doesn't that alter the width of the string?

I do use a lace maker on my scraps. But I cut it very wide, stretch the string, cut again with my cutter to 1/8", and then finally bevel it. Usually the scraps aren't as strong and nice so I rarely cut that lace 3/32". But I cut the lace twice when I use the lacemaker.

Actually it's just the experience with the lace itself, With the red stuff at least I had a lot of it so a metre cut in each width, preped and tested was good enough for me...

The stuff I will be using in the future is what I wanted this measurement for, as I know there is very little shrinkage in it.

If I am not using the lace maker to cut my lace with then I am cutting the lace from my cutter beveler in a spiral technique. When I am cutting lace that way I will usually cut the hide in wider strips, say about 1/2" wide. Then I will apply some Picards dressing and then stretch the 1/2" strap over night. I then will cut my 1/8" wide lace from that 1/2" strap, usually yielding 4 1/8" strings. Now how long they are depends on the size of the cut circle. When I bevel the 1/8" strings, I'm just scraping the bottom of the string at 45 degrees only removing the under side of the flesh side only. That's how I do it, but everyone is different in the way they do that kind of cutting. The way I do it is a little slower and not as efficient as most would view it. But I like my lace to be top quality when I am done cutting. The quality of your braids start at the quality of the cut and the bevel.

Brian...

:coffeecomp:

I tried your calculator, Maybe it's firefox but it doesn't seem to be working...

You might have to update your FF to the latest one, or try out google chrome or use IE.

If I am not using the lace maker to cut my lace with then I am cutting the lace from my cutter beveler in a spiral technique. When I am cutting lace that way I will usually cut the hide in wider strips, say about 1/2" wide. Then I will apply some Picards dressing and then stretch the 1/2" strap over night. I then will cut my 1/8" wide lace from that 1/2" strap, usually yielding 4 1/8" strings. Now how long they are depends on the size of the cut circle. When I bevel the 1/8" strings, I'm just scraping the bottom of the string at 45 degrees only removing the under side of the flesh side only. That's how I do it, but everyone is different in the way they do that kind of cutting. The way I do it is a little slower and not as efficient as most would view it. But I like my lace to be top quality when I am done cutting. The quality of your braids start at the quality of the cut and the bevel.

Brian...

coffeecomp.gif

Hey Brian,

In this post you talk about your cutter beveler. What exactly are you talking about? I am always on the lookout for abetter way to cut lace and bevel. Can you show us a picture?