theherje

legal pad covers

Hey there,

I could use some help with a legal pad, I cut out one sheet for the cover but when I lay out my interior piece it wrinkles up. should i make the cover 3 piece? How do I not get the wrinkles in my interior leather? This is so frustrating because this aint my first rodeo, but boy it sure sounds like it, I just wanted to ask before I burn another piece of leather...

Thanks

Bart

and of course, the guy wants it by next friday... something to do with a gift or something, pssshh

Hi Bart,

First off,,, have you already gluded the interior piece in yet? If not,,, here's the way I do it. First off, I plough out an area about 1/2" wide, at the fold area on the inside of the outside (tooled) cover. I do this for a couple reasons, it helps the cover to fold over easier,,, & also, since that will be the last area, that will be stuck together, it will pull the inside piece slightly tighter there. Also, If you are using light leather for the outside.. 4oz-6oz. You may need a stiffener, on the inside also.

Usually the inside piece will be a little smaller than the outside cover, so that when You are gluing them together, you are also stretching the inside to fit. On a cover where the total width is about 14",,, the inside will be as much as 1" smaller. It all depends on how stretchy the inside cover material is. I always cut my inside cover about 2" bigger all the way around,, just for a "fudge" factor,,, just incase I don't get things alligned correctly during the gluing. Cover both of the mating surfaces with a good contact cement. Allow both pieces to dry completely,,, about 10 mins should be fine. On big pieces, I will put wax paper, in the areas where I want to make sure they dont stick together yet. Now, start by adhearing the center of one edge, so that when you start stretching, you will be pulling across the fold area,,, not in the same direction as the fold. Now, with that edge stuck, start stretching, & sticking, the center, until you get to the other edge. At this point, the whole cover, is wanting to curl up. Now, start streching, the unstuch areas, down, & toward the corners. Do this all the way around. At this point, the cover, is wanting, to partially fold, on it's own. Now, hold the piece as flat as possible, & press down & stick the fold area. Once you do all of this, You shold get a cover that when folded, has no wrinkles,,, or very slight wrinkles, in the fold area.

This sounds like a lot,,, but it's really pretty simple. Good luck,,, & remember, with contact cement, once it touches,,, it's pretty well stuck!!

Ed the"BearMan"

Ed,

Thanks alot, I would have never thought of "plough" out the center piece. So let me ask you this, do you think the 3 piece is better than the single cover for a legal pad. I dont make much of these... okay this is my first legal pad cover, but it is a friend so... you know how that goes!

Thanks alot for the help!

b

Hey Gents. I'm having trouble visualizing quite what this project is, what it looks like, how it works. I work with and around legal pads all the time, seeing that I work for lawyers :head_hurts_kr: But - I just don't quite follow the text on this one.

Could we get a picture or two in here ? It sounds to me like this might be a good project for me to get an understanding about, what with having good connections to a possible market and all ..

Thanks.

I will post some pics later today or tomorrow. This would be a great thing for you to build... until I get the pics up, go to www.montyreedycustomleather.com Monty is an AMAZING pounder, and he has some great 3 piece legal pads. *warning... he will make you want to do alot more work!