Suze

OW OW OW --- I got shingles

WHY do I have to get these things? ? ? ?

all down my right arm and hand

OWWWWWWWWWWWWW

on drugs but still

OWWWWWWWWWWWWW

if they just hadn't hit the hand - I think I could live with them till they were gone but one half of my hand is covered.....

My two last fingers feel like someone tied a rubber band at the base -- way too tight (try it sometime) and they "feel cold" to me but they arn't really.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I heard shingles are brought on by stress, so you should probably invite your sis to come take care of you... devil.gif (ducks and runs really fast!)

Have you consulted with the medical consortium yet? Has my mom seen you? Let us know what we can do.

Love ya cuz,

Johanna

Sorry I can't relate, but I can sympathize, right? Having any kind of painful condition sucks, especially at this time of year when we need to be sooooo busy!

Hope your shingles go away quick.

no Johanna -- I sort of "bypassed" the family medical consortium and went straight for the one who can give me drugs.

and you had better run fast. or I will sic the kids on you-- I don't think that they would mind getting their Mom down and tickling her.......

Shingles can hit anyone who HAS had chicken pox. My mom had it on her scalp, so didn't see the rash right away. She was camping with family in the Grand Canyon. NOT good timing, huh? Didn't seek medical attn. 'til after she returned. Said she thought she was dying. That was a year ago. She said she still feels pain occasionally when the wind hits the right way.

Stress is a known factor, but I don't know as it's a cause. Shingles hit me at a stressful time, as it hit my mom, so I can only relate our tales. I had my experience this year. It felt like someone had slugged me by my left breast, right by the bra line, near my armpit. I noticed an odd rash. I had a dr. appt. because of the pain, and he saw the rash right away. I was luckier than Mom, because I was treated so quickly. Still, it was really painful, and because of the location - well let's just say wearing a bra was not great then, and I couldn't really go without.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

I don't think I am going to be able to work through this one

the worst part of them hit my hand

whiiiiiiiiine

I don't think I am going to be able to work through this one

the worst part of them hit my hand

whiiiiiiiiine

I got the shingles in my early 20s attacked my spine started as a rash on my shoulder blades. soon my back was covered, at the three week mark I could not bend at the waist or turn my torso due to sever pain., very debilitating lasted for two months. doctors can give you pain relief and maybe prescribe medication given to immune deficiency persons but the bottom line is you will feel pain it attacks your nervous system network on different parts of your body and it will end. hopefully the drugs will keep you from scratching as you don't want to aggravate it as it can spread during the time it starts to form blistered hives. and heavy scaring can occur if it gets out of control. there is no cure just try not to scratch and spread it. no need for a doctor except to prescribe pain relief...

sorry for your pain but it will be over eventually

crissy - if you get to the Dr as soon as the rash appears they can give you antiviral meds to shorten the duration of the "crap" (Im on Valtrex)

and right now I do NOT want to scratch

mine HURT LIKE HELL IF I TOUCH ANY SPOT

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

To anyone reading this "GET THE SHINGLES SHOT", yes its expensive, but I guarantee anyone that had/does have a shingles outbreak will tell you they would willingly pay $300 to make it stop.

I made my dear hubby get it last week, rite-aid pharamcy will do it, your Dr will write a prescription. The vaccine must have sepcific handling and most Dr offices dont have it in stock because of the specific handling and expense.

Our Dear sweet Brother in law was dying with terminal lung cancer and contracted shingles, he was doubly suffeering for the last 3 months of his life....... now that my friends was a miserable time.

another friend has permanent neuralgic pain in his foot after shingles attack 5 years ago. And just to make things fun and interesting shingles can return at a later date as the virus lives permenantly in ones nerves.... get the shot!

I'm not 'old enough' but when I hit 50, I'll be getting the shot :cowgirl:

Poor suze, I know about this medicinal oil for coldsores, it works, it might be worth trying for the shingles lesions......

Forces of Nature medicinal oil

Edited by cowgirlrae

it is the chicken pox virus that lives in your nerves and THAT is what causes shingles at a later date.

so if you have never had chicken pox it can be bad if you are around someone with shingles

if the "afflicted one" has open sores they can give you chicken pox (but not shingles - you can't get shingles if you never had chicken pox)

it is the chicken pox virus that lives in your nerves and THAT is what causes shingles at a later date. 

yes, Herpes Zoster aka Chicken Pox, reactivated in later life (age, weakened immune system), Voila!, shingles, that can recur in some people......and considering most all adults over the age of 45-50 have had chicken pox, are at risk for shingles later. Some even claim to have never had chicken pox as a child, yet come down with shingles when older, apparently they had a mild case as a child and it probably went unnoticed .

Our Dr told us that he recommends ALL his 'mature' patients have the shingles shot, as the likelyhood of 50 years old or better not having chicken pox is rare, why take the chance?

For the patients that claim to have never had Chicken Pox he recommends they have a chicken pox vaccine and a shingles vaccine anyway! He is a great Dr.

I do hope the pain relieves soon. I know it is a miserable condition

Try using Tea Tree essential oil, Suze, there is nothing magical about it, other than it is a great antiseptic and seems to relieve pain and help things heal quickly. Sorry you hurt and I hope it gets better soon.

Ray