Sign in to follow this  
Cowboymade

Guitar Pick Guard

I just finished a leather tooled Telecaster pick guard, well sort of and that's why I'm here. I found one company that "factory" makes them and they say the leather is backed with vulcanized fiber. After looking around I've found websites with the vulcanized fiber material but their manufactures. Ebay has it but there in small quanities used for making knives. Has anyone ever used or tried this or what are you using to stiffen the leather. The leather I used to make it with is 4/5 oz which doesn't leave much room in thickness as you don't want to raise the pick guard up much and interfere with the strings of the guitar. I'm thinking if I don't back it with something that eventually the leather will warp and stick out from the guitar where the screws are not holding it down. If it was my guitar I'd just glue the leather to the guitar but you can't expect a customer to go with that method. Any help in how to achieve this is much appreciated. Maybe just simple plastic will do but again it may be too flimsy (remember the thickness limit)

guitar 004.jpg

post-12304-126206361066_thumb.jpg

hello there.......talk to Kevin at Springfield Leather to see if the Kydex will for for you.

Nice Job! Funny that you would post this as I just finished one last night for my 5 string elec. mandolin. Custom made it's a tele body too!

I am either going to glue it directly onto the pickguard or go to the dollar store and get a $1.00 plastic 3 ring binder.

I use them a lot for stiffeners in album covers. Just cut out the sides and punch out the 3 rings to use somewhere else (like an album!)

DON"T glue it to the body. You will regret it someday.

pete

I would think you could just back it with some 1mm Plasticard from a hobby shop.

I would think you could just back it with some 1mm Plasticard from a hobby shop.

Much obliged for all the replies. Trying not to make this out to more than it is. I went to the local art supply store and found what they call styrene sheets, small, clear, gold or silver. The best part is it will not get eaten up by glue. And yes I agree not to glue the piece to the guitar.

That's exactly what I was talking about man, glad it worked.