I have not had a lot of luck using Fiebings Professional Oil dyes. I have tried using sherling, daubers, and rags to apply and can't get the oil to go on evenly. Yesterday, I experimented a bit, and tried to dye some olive oil. Since the dye is alcohol based, it does not mix with the oil, and as it evaportated, left tiny particles of dye pigments in the oil. When the oil was applied to the leather, it lead to a cool looking beat up type finish that I might play with later, but it's still not what I want. I have honestly avoided much more than no finish, black finish, or antique finishes because I can't get the dyes to go on evenly. Any suggestions?

Hi,,,

May I ask why you are using the Oil Dye? Basically, that's the Fiebings dye with oil in it. I've never really had any luck with the oil dye. I use the regular Spirit dye. If I add oil, I do that seperately. As far as getting an even application. The best way is to use an airbrush, that makes it nice & uniform. You can get it pretty uniform by first wearing rubber gloves, & using a piece of shearling about 3" square Very wet with dye,,, & moving very quickly. This makes the color very intense,,, so if you want it a lighter shade,,, cut the intensity with alcohol, or thinner. But,,, the airbrush works a Lot better.

Thanks, Ed. Basicly I am using this particular bottle of dye because I bought it over a year ago, and am too Scottish to throw it out. The oil dye does not have any oil in it, it just seems to be spirt based. I just thought the oil might be a way to get it into the leather. I don't have an airbrush yet, but its on the list. How was this type of product used before air brushes?

Thanks, Ed. Basicly I am using this particular bottle of dye because I bought it over a year ago, and am too Scottish to throw it out. The oil dye does not have any oil in it, it just seems to be spirt based. I just thought the oil might be a way to get it into the leather. I don't have an airbrush yet, but its on the list. How was this type of product used before air brushes?

You can buy "Prevail" sprayer, and spray the dye on. Google "prevail sprayer".

Edited by Hilly

I've never had any problems with the oil dye streaking at all, and I use it on a daily basis. That being said, this is the method in which I use it:

I oil the entire project and let it set for 24 hrs to let the oil penetrate and even itself out.

Next I use the oil dye and a shearling scrap and dip it into the dye so it is thoroughly wet. I then work it in a circular motion around the entire project.

So far, using this technique, I haven't had anything streak. I hope this helps out a bit.

I find the more I oil a project before I apply any type of dye, the better the results. The dye spreads more evenly and I have less trouble with rub off.

I've been using Eco-Flo dyes and was having the same streaking problem. I was dying first, then oiling. One time I wasn't paying attention and oiled first. I let the piece sit for a day and dyed it once the surface was no longer oily. Worked better.

I have heard a lot of good things about spirit dyes though and want to try them. Oiling first of course! Where do I get spirit dyes?

When you guys say "oil it first", you're using, what, neatsfoot?

Yes, neatsfoot oil will work. I personally use the U-82 Saddlers oil from Weaveror a mix of the U-82 and NF oil. It is a lot thinner and evens out very quickly, without leaving a lot of the darkened areas like NF does.

so im looking for an alternative, that is not as expensive as neatoil, which is a little bit expensive here in Germany :)

What do i have to take in account, when looking for a suitable oil?

I found some leatheroil with beeswax for a good price, could that work?

Greets Jazznow

so im looking for an alternative, that is not as expensive as neatoil, which is a little bit expensive here in Germany smile.gif

What do i have to take in account, when looking for a suitable oil?

I found some leatheroil with beeswax for a good price, could that work?

Greets Jazznow

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on my leatherwork, and my father uses it on his tack. There is a lot of debate on it, but it works well for me.