DonnieBlaze

edge burnisher/slicker

Has anyone ever made there owne edge burnisher/slicker and if so would you be willing to share how you did it? i searchd the posts but could not fined anything on this subject thanks for reading this

Donnie Blaze red_bandana.gif

Edited by DonnieBlaze

For years I used simple hardwood dowels, and wooden thread spools, chucked into the drill press. More recently I have discovered 2" diameter hard felt polishing wheels. When turning at about 1700 rpm the hard felt wheels make short work of edge burnishing.

I usually burnish in two stages. First, while the leather is still damp from wet-forming I use a dry felt wheel to slick the edge. Second, after the item has been finished I apply wax (50/50 mix of parafin and beeswax) to the edges, then burnish again to a bright finish.

The 2" felt polishing wheels cost about $1.50 each retail and each one will do a couple of hundred holsters, pouches, belts, etc before becoming so worn that they need to be replaced.

Donnie here is a link to an article about finishing edges that makes all the difference in the quality of your finished edge. I have made my own burnishers and tried different material/ processes but until I tried Mr Bob Parks method I was just getting close to a perfect edge. Canvas and a bone folder is all i need now.

For years I used simple hardwood dowels, and wooden thread spools, chucked into the drill press. More recently I have discovered 2" diameter hard felt polishing wheels. When turning at about 1700 rpm the hard felt wheels make short work of edge burnishing.

I usually burnish in two stages. First, while the leather is still damp from wet-forming I use a dry felt wheel to slick the edge. Second, after the item has been finished I apply wax (50/50 mix of parafin and beeswax) to the edges, then burnish again to a bright finish.

The 2" felt polishing wheels cost about $1.50 each retail and each one will do a couple of hundred holsters, pouches, belts, etc before becoming so worn that they need to be replaced.

Where do you buy your polishing wheels?

Donnie I make burnishers.I do it on my lathe or by hand.just depends on what size I need for the job. Pm me and I will tell you how to make them.very easy. I will post some pics when I get off work. Gary