Sign in to follow this  
JLSleather

Videos, Videos

I know nothing about sewing machines -- any sewing machine. I'm not mechanically challenged, but the terminology is a different language for me. I've had Bridgeport Mills, Thompsen surface grinders, Intel and AMD computers, and Ford Broncos apart AND back together, but one post on here about sewing machines left me scratching my head (though it seemed like good information to others who read it).

Sew what I need (sorry :) ) is some plain information about getting started with this.

Maybe a couple of years I'll have need for it and that guy up the street will sell me that shoe shop he doesn't use and won't lease out.

For the moment, I need to sew multiple lining leathers for handbags/wallets/organizers. As in like 3- 4 layers of 2 oz chrome tanned. When I can carve and dye a dozen a week, it's irritating to then be bogged down the following week sewing linings. I'd buy them prefabricated if I could find them the way I want them, but then what do I do when those boys show up wanting changes? I make an occasional holster or lined belt, and have no problem hand sewing those.

Is there already a video around here SHOWING some leather being machine stitched, but I just missed it? I started to watch that Tippman thing, but couldn't take any more about bolting it to the table blahblahblah.gif Not to mention that seemed like a lot of money for something I have to operate by hand anyway.

Hi JLSleather,

I've made a number of videos on some of the basics of an industrial machine such as filling the bobbin, threading etc...

Here's 2 of the videos:

You can find the rest at our youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/raphaelsewingVIDEO

Enjoy and good luck!

Ron

Website bookmarked ... thanks!

Raphael Sewing Machines Inc. / TECHSEW

Tel: 1-866-415-8223

www.techsew.com

ron@raphaelsewing.com

Howdy! In addition to the above, go to You-Tube and watch Arthur Porter. He uses many machines and makes all sorts of bags. Good Luck, Stan

Here is a video I made a few years ago, showing me sewing rifle slings on a walking foot machine.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks, I did find that one back then Wiz (roughly 5 years back). Actually, I think of that whenever I see somebody doing a 45 minute video of stitching a belt :rofl: Git 'er dun ...

No wonder some o' these boys think a leather belt is a $100+ project.. they got 2 hours in stitchin' it!