I dont have much experience in leatherworking, but i made a couple of easy pieces I liked.

Now I have a new blackberry that required a casing so I figured I make one.

I've got a couple of question:

first In a another tread I've read:

Looks great ! I just made one for my blackberry curve and one thing to remember is the magnet. It puts the phone in "holster" mode. So when you slide the phone in, it will not activate anything and locks the keys. It really sux to pull your phone out to discover you've been online the last two hours in your pocket. HAHAHAHA... i said online in your pocket....

Where should I put this magnet?

What kind of lining should I use so I wont scratch the surface?

Is molded 8 once to thick for this kind of project?

Edited by yan

I dont have much experience in leatherworking, but i made a couple of easy pieces I liked.

Now I have a new blackberry that required a casing so I figured I make one.

I've got a couple of question:

first In a another tread I've read:

The magnet for the closure goes wherever works for your design. The magnet for the stand-by sensor goes in the back of the case (the side closest to you while wearing it) at the very bottom, centered, and on the inside of the case, of course.

Felt or pretty much any thin veg-tan.

I wouldn't think that would be too thick, but with a lining it could get a little bulky.

Don't forget to make a groove so that the case doesn't contact the scroll ball (or touchpad, whichever you have), because that can cause trouble with it over time. Good luck!

~Noah

I agree with NoahL, at the back near the bottom.

I would line with a goat skin flesh side out, or pig skin flesh side out. Either use turned edges or lace to cover the raw edge. (be sure to leave a way for dirt and trash to escape the bottom, so that the suede texture doesn't trap grit and scratch the phone)

Yes this is to heavy a leather. Try a thinner 4/5 oz. leather with a thin lining, this should be plenty of heft for a phone case.