Sign in to follow this  
kytim

Opinions

Hey everybody, I gotta feelin that there's alot of ya headed out Wickenburg way, but I just wanted to get a couple opinions since I'm snowed in today and in the mood to go out to the tack room/ shop and work a little. If you had to start over with your tools, and you already knew you get what you pay for, and you were going to buy a new Barry King mallet, and you could only afford one for now. Which one would you buy? Mallet or maul? What size? Tapered or untapered? Also you have a case of carpal tunnels in both hands, so maybe heavier than normal, or lighter?

While I don't have carpal tunnel, I do have both a maul and mallet from Barry King, and they are both light. The mallet isn't tapered. I love them both. I usually use the mallet if I'm doing stamping or hole punching, and the maul for tooling.

kytim

I have a 27oz tapered maul that works well I think its a little big for carving things like wallets and checkbook covers but is just right for setting stamps (like basket and geo type stamps). I have had shoulder surgery and the tapered maul help with the strain on my shoulder. What do you plan to do in leather will help to make a decision.

Mark

Edited by MarkB

I Love my mauls, Why not contact "The Bearman" here on LW, he makes the most beautiful and useful Mauls on the face of the earth:-) This is my set from Ed (The Bearman) One 9oz and one 16oz.

MyMauls.jpg

post-5624-126627001906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tina

Not only that but Ed's I think are much more reasonably priced.