Shipped off this little pancake today for a 3" 1911 with Crimson Trace laser grips. My previous 1911 pancake pattern needed a total overhaul as the top cut line did not work with the CT grips. Plus, the sweat guard looked a little odd. I think this one turned out a little better. It's a good starting point for the other sizes since I only need to add more length now. Plus, the design matches the Avenger style I've been working on lately.

Got in a bit of a hurry to finish this, as I had to deliver it at noon today and was running short on time - one of my boning tools got away from me and dug in a bit under the trigger guard. Didn't really notice it at the time, but I think the lighting is making it look worse in the photo than in real life. The blue glints you're seeing is from the sunlight coming in through my garage door - I shot this under fluorescent work lights, so the color temp was a little off on the sunlight highlights.

My first attempt at the pattern was WAY off. Scrapped it and started over with a fresh sheet of paper, and ended up with this. The next time I build this holster, I'll tweak the stitch line around the trigger guard and slide to bring it in tighter. Probably the same could be said at the top of the slide too.

The customer specifically wanted the option to carry C&L, and/or safety off (hammer down, chamber empty). Thus, I formed the recess for the safety to accommodate both.

I need to figure out a better way to form the sight channel, while still maintaining adequate retention on the top of the slide. It's pretty difficult with that big reinforcement piece. Guess I might need to explore a stitched sight channel - can't add that much difficultly to the assembly process.

8/9 oz Herman Oak

Fiebings Light Brown oil dye - airbrushed

Natural thread color

Neatsfoot Oil

2 coats of Satin Sheen

Light coat of wax

On a side note, can anyone tell me any downside to using satin sheen for the final finish coat? The guy at the Tandy store said he doesn't recommend Resolene over black, as it doesn't provide a heavy enough coat. He said since it's just a top coat, it eventually rubs off, whereas Satin Sheen actually soaks in for better protection. Thoughts? Personally, I hate the tacky feel of Resolene. It grips the gun too much and squeaks too much on the belt, IMHO.

794059198_z5ZQx-M.jpg

794059712_YnLB9-M.jpg

794060192_WEGuB-M.jpg

794060777_ytmcu-M.jpg

794061241_RTdAZ-L.jpg

794061725_brNXK-L.jpg

794062221_nw2No-M.jpg

Edited by particle

Nice job !! I bet the owner is proud of it.

You did a beautiful job !!!! Outstanding !

Best'

Rhome

DGL

Beautiful work!

~Noah

That is a very nice piece of work. Once you do the tweaks you've listed, it will be top quality.

Question: What treatment did you give to the flesh side? I presume you left it natural? Satin Sheen?

That is a very nice piece of work. Once you do the tweaks you've listed, it will be top quality.

Question: What treatment did you give to the flesh side? I presume you left it natural? Satin Sheen?

Thanks everyone for the comments! BigRiverLeather - I used gum tragacanth to smooth the interior (was already pretty smooth to begin with), then two good coats of Satin Sheen.

Once I recover a bit from all of my purchases lately, I'll have to get a maker's stamp made...

Thanks everyone for the comments! BigRiverLeather - I used gum tragacanth to smooth the interior (was already pretty smooth to begin with), then two good coats of Satin Sheen.

Once I recover a bit from all of my purchases lately, I'll have to get a maker's stamp made...

I'll recommend Jeff at http://www.greyghostgraphics.com/. He makes his out of derlon (?) and they are much more economical (I think I paid $75 for mine) than the steel ones I've seen which is nice if you want to get more than one size. You can download his brochure from his website. Very fast delivery too.

Beeeyouteefull!!!

Is the extra layer on the outer side just for looks? Or stiffening? Or??

Just wondering 'cause I'm gettin ready to do a pancake holster for a Kimber 5".

Also was thinking of adding a little place for the little bent paper clip thiggy required to break down the pistol.

Again, NICE!

Beeeyouteefull!!!

Is the extra layer on the outer side just for looks? Or stiffening? Or??

Just wondering 'cause I'm gettin ready to do a pancake holster for a Kimber 5".

Also was thinking of adding a little place for the little bent paper clip thiggy required to break down the pistol.

Again, NICE!

Hi Luna Slim - thanks for the compliments! Yes, the extra layer on the outside is a stiffener. It's not really needed for OWB, but I kinda like the way it looks having it on there so I usually prefer to add it - just because.

That's a neat idea to include the take down tool in the holster. Be sure to show us if you decide to add it!!

I don't own a Kimber so this may not apply but I've do own an officer's size 1911 with the reverse bushing. I started out using the bent paper clip thingy until it was pointed out to me that I didn't need it. Now I just grab the guide rod from the end at the barrel link and slighty compress the spring and it all just lifts out of the gun, bushing and all.

Bronson

Beautiful!! I wish my stuff looked that good!

Beautiful!! I wish my stuff looked that good!

LOL - Thanks Bruce - I was just looking at your recent Glock post and thought the EXACT same thing about your holsters! You make some fantastic looking stuff! I'm afraid to booger them up with tooling, so my hat's off to you! Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days...

Particle, this looks fantastic. I see where you made the swell for the safety to sit on or off - I think you pulled it off quite well.

They just keep gettin' better from you!

Thank you sir! My wife is pleased to finally see a little return on our investment... Be a while before we're back in the black though!

I'd like to add my $.02 to this thread...

I was referred to this site (& this thread) by a friend at Bladeforums.com/Buck Knives...I was looking for a high-ride, open bottom, minimal profile holster for my 9mm Star BM (a steel frame auto used by the Policia Nationale of Spain - at one time, this was the smallest 9mm Parabellum auto in production).

I contacted Particle, and he made up a holster using (I believe) a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail for a mold. It is pretty much exactly what I wanted. I like the barrel/slide on my holster to poke out just a bit, and I prefer no straps or snaps on top.

I've already recommended several friends to Particle's site, and am contemplating a second holster for another pistol...

Quality workmanship; reasonable price; quick service; outstanding communication. Here's a couple more pics for posterity...

Adams_Fs.jpg

Adams_Rs.jpg

post-14457-127098852497_thumb.jpg

post-14457-127098855947_thumb.jpg

very nice work Particle. nice to see the 8/9 oz used. i use the same weight in W/C and find it makes for a much sturdier and nicer looking holster.

Tony

Thanks fellas! Ferretface, glad you like your holster! Hope it works well for you for many years of service.