TroyS

Cabbage Patch Seat (Bikeweek 2010)

Now that BikeWeek 2010 is over, I can let you all in on a secret project!

If you are in the biker world and come to Daytona for BikeWeek, you probably know the Cabbage Patch. It's known for their "World Famous Coleslaw Wrestling" event during BikeWeek and Biketoberfest. You can check out their website here. (WARNING: THE LINK PROVIDED CONTAINS NUDITY AND MAY NOT BE APPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG VIEWERS) I was commissioned by one of the owners of The Cabbage Patch Bar to do a motorcycle seat for a custom bike. The bike was secretly built by the son (Roger Luznar) and several other top notch gear heads and was presented to Dad (Ronnie Luznar) as a surprise this year while the main event was happening. The crowd parted, the bike rolled in, and it was given to Ronnie! The crowd went crazy!

Anyway, here's a few pics of the bike... Let me know what ya think?

!Cabbage Patch Seat_Front.jpg!Cabbage Patch Seat_Back.jpg!Cabbage-Patch-Bike_1.JPG

Here's one with Father, Son, and crew!

BikeWeek 2010    @ Cabbage Patch_50.JPG

post-6344-126821612925_thumb.jpg

post-6344-126821613131_thumb.jpg

post-6344-126821613351_thumb.jpg

post-6344-12682165432_thumb.jpg

The owner's son was gracious enough to give me a booth right on the front row on some prime real estate for the show. While I was there, I decided to tool some leather to peak people's interest. Well, it worked! I handed out almost 1000 business cards and came home with a few jobs!

I took my inspiration from another seat I saw that was published in Hot Bike Magazine a while back. I don't know who made it but props to them! Here's the inspiration:

0813_hbkp_04_z+bruiser_custom_cycle+top_view.jpg

I changed it up so as not to be a copycat. Here's the piece I started working on while I was there...

DSC00008.JPG

The tufted leather in the center will be replaced with a piece of Black Crocodile Embossed Cow. The colors will be Fiebing's Beige alcohol dye base with a Black Antique Gel topcoat to make it look old! Not sure if I want to saddle-stitch it or lace it... Whatcha think??

post-6344-12682185303_thumb.jpg

post-6344-12682186869_thumb.jpg

Edited by TroyS

that is one great seat caint wait to see the otheron done

Dscott

I really like both your seats Troy. Your take on that second seat in much nicer. Cleaner tooling too.

I assume there is going to be an inlay of some sort in the center? Keep that stitching nice and flat on the leather. I've been hearing that some lacing where you sit gets pretty uncomfortable after a few miles.

Dave

that is one great seat caint wait to see the otheron done

Dscott

Thanks D! I'll post it as soon as I finish!

I really like both your seats Troy. Your take on that second seat in much nicer. Cleaner tooling too.

I assume there is going to be an inlay of some sort in the center? Keep that stitching nice and flat on the leather. I've been hearing that some lacing where you sit gets pretty uncomfortable after a few miles.

Dave

Hey Dave!

Thanks for your vote of confidence! The hardest part of the seat was doing it OUTSIDE in the 45 degree weather! The center is going to be a Black Crocodile Embossed cow that I plan to saddlestitch in place. I'm with you on the lace in the butt thing. It's going to be a very smooth transition from one to the other. I don't even think the rider will be able to feel it. We'll see I guess huh? Thanks for the compliments and I'll be posting more later!

Those are cool seats. That second one has a really kickass subtle feel to it.

Very nice Troy

Butch

Well done, Troy - and congratulations on your success at the show!

Kate

great designs troy

Troy i really like the Cabbage Patch seat !! The leaves look real. You did a great job !!

I like 'em both Troy. You're doing some really nice stuff. And I agree, those leaves are cool.

Great looking seats!! I saw your booth at the Cabbage Patch and came by a couple times to meet you, but you must have been over watching the coleslaw wrestling...lol. Maybe next year and hope it is warmer.

Dave

I had that issue with my seat that I did the braid on. Had to take the mallet to it for a bit to take the rise off the round braid just a bit. Now its no big deal but at first it was just a little to round.

Something I was reading about, apparently thats why levis (when they were american made) and wrangler had the seems on the outside of the pant leg vice inside like most pant makers do nowadays. This would prevent it from rubbing your leg while you were in the saddle. When they moved levis to being made in mexico they started putting the seem on the inside like all the other cheaper brands of pants. I think most wranglers are still on the outside if I remember correctly. Would have to ask a cowboy for that one.

Thanks to everyone on the nice words! Any compliments by this fine group is a notch on any man's belt. They mean a lot!

I'm trying to finish the 2nd seat up but the phone won't stop ringin'! 3 new seats this week! Stay tuned... I'll be posting pics...

The Cabbage Patch was a GREAT experience and we're looking forward to it next year!

HideBanger, you musta had wings on 'cause I didn't stray much further than the bar! :cheers: Hope to see ya next year! And you're right, I may have been in the pit during the Coleslaw wrestling when they presented the 'Cabbage Patch Bike' to Ronnie! I hope you had a chance to see it! I sure do hope it warms up next year. That was a bone chilling 10 days, by any standards.

Wow, great looking seats Troy!!

Troy your work is awesome. Keep up the good eork. As for me I Vote for lacing it just looks better.

Firstly, let me say THANK YOU for the nice comments! They really motivate me!

Secondly, I finally was able to get some awesome pictures of the bike! Whatcha think??

Cabbage-Patch-Bike-1.jpgCabbage-Patch-Bike-2.jpgCabbage-Patch-Bike-3.jpgCabbage-Patch-Bike-4.jpg

Thirdly, the bike is being featured as the centerfold of Cochise Chops Magazine next month! For everyone that can get the magazine, pick one up, it's a great read! For those that can't get a copy, Here's the Centerfold AD.

Cabbage-Patch-Bike-Centerfold.jpg

And last, but NOT LEAST, here's a picture of the Seat I started during BikeWeek this year. I know. I know... you're saying "Will you finish the :censored2: thing already?" But, in my defense, I've been so busy that I'm lucky to have gotten as far as I have! I am almost finished though. The bottom is going to be all Croc Belly and laced with Black Kangaroo lace. Here's where it is so far...

DSC00029.jpgWestern-Floral-&-Skullz_1.jpg

post-6344-127487254046_thumb.jpg

post-6344-127487254195_thumb.jpg

post-6344-127487254327_thumb.jpg

post-6344-127487254447_thumb.jpg

post-6344-127487255968_thumb.jpg

post-6344-127487321784_thumb.jpg

post-6344-127487321981_thumb.jpg

nice nice love it great job on the seat

Dscott

Great looking stuff, that last seat is gonna be killer when your all finished.