Here is my prototype... after much research. Stitching got a bit rough in spots, but I learned a fair amount about not stitching myself into a corner. I will put the belt on after I measure the waist it needs to go around. :whatdoyouthink:

Mark

sporran.jpg

sporranlite.jpg

Sporran_lid.jpg

sprrnopen.jpg

post-6075-1208097047_thumb.jpg

post-6075-1208097065_thumb.jpg

post-6075-1208097079_thumb.jpg

post-6075-1208097100_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarkS

Looks preety nice Mark. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Did you stitch that by hand? Looks like a fair amount of work...

Looks preety nice Mark. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Did you stitch that by hand? Looks like a fair amount of work...

Thank-you. Yeah, all stitched by hand, with beeswaxed flax linen thread, the glue used was hot hide glue. Took about 10 hours total, if you include "thinking" time. It was fun... now only twenty more to make!

By the way... this is the nicest forum I belong to. People are helpful, and very kind to each other. I really like it here.

Mark

Edited by MarkS

I love it. I so love bags and this one is cool.

Very nice, similiar to ive made in the past for Jacobite renactors,

Where are you based could maybe help rehardin shoe making!

Very nice!

Nice finished look. Lotsa different skills demonstrated on one piece. You need to make ten more? So, do you sell at shows?

Question about that beautiful stitching. Is that done by punching a hole with an awl, then shoving a needle thru? I tried it once, but punched ALL my holes first. Dumb. Anyway, it sounds brutal to punch all those holes, and gettin things lined up thru two layers. Any suggestions?

I do some stitching on my turnshoes, but I must confess that I just punch the holes first with a punch, so there's a nice hole there which is easy to use. 'course it doesn't look as nice as the right way to do it.

Doug

Nice finished look. Lotsa different skills demonstrated on one piece. You need to make ten more? So, do you sell at shows?

Question about that beautiful stitching. Is that done by punching a hole with an awl, then shoving a needle thru? I tried it once, but punched ALL my holes first. Dumb. Anyway, it sounds brutal to punch all those holes, and gettin things lined up thru two layers. Any suggestions?

I do some stitching on my turnshoes, but I must confess that I just punch the holes first with a punch, so there's a nice hole there which is easy to use. 'course it doesn't look as nice as the right way to do it.

Doug

Thanks for the compliments, I live in Michigan...

I play the bagpipes in the only band in the US which dresses and plays 18th century style instruments and music, so I needed to make these as part of the uniform for the other band members; so I don't make these to sell. I only used very sharp awl, doing each hole one at a time. It gets pretty quick to sew once you have done a few of them, and since parts are sewn in reverse and turned, it is much easier to make the curves nice and smooth by sewing along punching each hole. I used a stitching spacer to get the stitches more or less correct. To make it easier I used a stitching groover to make a groove for the thread to lie down in, decreasing the wear on the thread, also making just a bit less leather to have to sew through. I used an Osborne diamond shaped awl, and after some sharpening, it slides through quite easily. I made some plywood forms held with spring clamps which is then bolted and wingnutted to a 2x4 (makes it easy to adjust) which acts as a stitching pony to make this easier to do.

I also figured out it would be much less time consuming to teach others how to make these than for me to make them all myself, so everyone in the band has learned how to sew these, except for those with arthritis. We also have made each of us pairs of ghillies for when we are at living history events.

Mark

Good looking bag the stiching is fantastic I wish I could sew that good (practice will improve mine) could you post a photo of what you use for a stiching pony please. Curtis