UKRay

Electric Bobbin Winders

I have come to the end of my patience with the bobbin winder on my Highlead GA2688-1.

No, there is nothing wrong with it, in fact it works perfectly. The problem is me.

My eyes are deteriorating quite badly and I have problems seeing well enough to thread the machine needle, but every time I need to fill a bobbin I have to un-thread the wretched thing before running the machine up. I really need an alternative to the winder on the top of the machine.

Has anyone invented a workable solution? Before you ask, My drive belt is covered by a protective metal casing and I don't want to remove it. I get into enough trouble without sticking my fingers into moving machinery - hence the 'bolt-on' type of bobbin winder isn't going to work for me. I really need something free standing like this: click here for the link

Has anyone tried one of those neat looking electric bobbin winders you see advertised on eBay? Do they work properly? Is there a make to look out for?

Thanks folks,

Ray

I have come to the end of my patience with the bobbin winder on my Highlead GA2688-1.

No, there is nothing wrong with it, in fact it works perfectly. The problem is me.

My eyes are deteriorating quite badly and I have problems seeing well enough to thread the machine needle, but every time I need to fill a bobbin I have to un-thread the wretched thing before running the machine up. I really need an alternative to the winder on the top of the machine.

Has anyone invented a workable solution? Before you ask, My drive belt is covered by a protective metal casing and I don't want to remove it. I get into enough trouble without sticking my fingers into moving machinery - hence the 'bolt-on' type of bobbin winder isn't going to work for me. I really need something free standing like this: click here for the link

Has anyone tried one of those neat looking electric bobbin winders you see advertised on eBay? Do they work properly? Is there a make to look out for?

Thanks folks,

Ray

Ray, there are bobbin winders out there that fit into the chuck of an electric/cordless drill. I know Tippmann sells them & I'm sure there are others out there, and they're not very expensive.

[1] Before you thread your machine, fill up a bunch of bobbins.

[2] Or buy an extra spool of thread so everything needn't not be unthreaded just to fill one single bobbin.

Ray, there are bobbin winders out there that fit into the chuck of an electric/cordless drill. I know Tippmann sells them & I'm sure there are others out there, and they're not very expensive.

[1] Before you thread your machine, fill up a bunch of bobbins.

[2] Or buy an extra spool of thread so everything needn't not be unthreaded just to fill one single bobbin.

All good ideas, Russ, thanks.

I hadn't thought of a cordless drill winder, but given that my cordless drill is shot, it would probably be cheaper to buy the right thing than replace the drill! LOL (I'll still check out Tippmanns - thanks).

However:

I've got a stack of filled bobbins but I never seem to have enough filled with the right colour thread for the job I'm doing. I accept that I regularly use five different colours of thread so I'm probably making life harder for myself!

I un-thread the needle because I don't want the loose thread end whipping around when I'm filling the bobbin - is there a better way to do it?

I always buy my thread spools in pairs for exactly the reason you outlined. It works for me.

Ray

I've got a stack of filled bobbins but I never seem to have enough filled with the right colour thread for the job I'm doing. I accept that I regularly use five different colours of thread so I'm probably making life harder for myself!

I un-thread the needle because I don't want the loose thread end whipping around when I'm filling the bobbin - is there a better way to do it?

Assuming you have a separate spool for the bobbin thread, would it work to put an empty bobbin on the winder as soon as you put a full one in the machine and just let it wind as you sew?

Assuming you have a separate spool for the bobbin thread, would it work to put an empty bobbin on the winder as soon as you put a full one in the machine and just let it wind as you sew?

You'd think so wouldn't you, Al? <grin!>

I started doing that when I first got the machine; however, I switch colours pretty regularly and it never works out quite right somehow. Nope - I definitely need a dedicated bobbin winder! LOL

Ray

You'd think so wouldn't you, Al? <grin!>

I started doing that when I first got the machine; however, I switch colours pretty regularly and it never works out quite right somehow. Nope - I definitely need a dedicated bobbin winder! LOL

Ray

Ray, I built a bobbin winder that I like better than any commercial one I have ever had and had 2. It uses a industrial bobbin winder, the kind that runs off the drive belt on a Toro 3000. I hooked it up to a household sewing machine motor and does it ever work good. I will get a picture of it tomorrow if you like and send it to you I have it mounted on a cabinet and can fill a bobbin just a few seconds. Ken

Ray

Have you thought about http://www.specsavers.co.uk/? Perhaps if we both went together, we could get a discount? rofl.gif

Terry

Hi Ken,

Ray, I built a bobbin winder that I like better than any commercial one I have ever had and had 2. It uses a industrial bobbin winder, the kind that runs off the drive belt on a Toro 3000. I hooked it up to a household sewing machine motor and does it ever work good. I will get a picture of it tomorrow if you like and send it to you I have it mounted on a cabinet and can fill a bobbin just a few seconds. Ken

I was thinking of doing something very similar just today. Any chance you could post pictures of your one on here?

Thanks.

Hi Ken,

I was thinking of doing something very similar just today. Any chance you could post pictures of your one on here?

Thanks.

No problem, I will get some pics of it tomorrow and post them tomorrow night. I might even make up a couple and sell them if some people are interested. They work really good. Ken

Ray

Have you thought about http://www.specsavers.co.uk/? Perhaps if we both went together, we could get a discount? rofl.gif

Terry

I knew I was expecting too much... LOL

Still, pics of a winder I can make myself sound great (thanks, Ken). All I need now is a second hand domestic sewing machine motor!

...or maybe one of those nice shiny dedicated bobbin winders that don't need building. Has anyone ever tried one?

Ray

I knew I was expecting too much... LOL

Still, pics of a winder I can make myself sound great (thanks, Ken). All I need now is a second hand domestic sewing machine motor!

...or maybe one of those nice shiny dedicated bobbin winders that don't need building. Has anyone ever tried one?

Ray

I will post a picture of the one I use tonight.I If you can scrounge the used stuff, it doesn't cost much, If I buy all the parts new, the Cost for materials is about $70. There are 2 on Ebay now, new, one costs between 60 and $70., The other they are asking $198.00 + shipping. If I were to build one up, with my labor, I would have to have $125.00 + shipping. Ken

I will post a picture of the one I use tonight.I If you can scrounge the used stuff, it doesn't cost much, If I buy all the parts new, the Cost for materials is about $70. There are 2 on Ebay now, new, one costs between 60 and $70., The other they are asking $198.00 + shipping. If I were to build one up, with my labor, I would have to have $125.00 + shipping. Ken

I spaced out getting the pictures for you but there is a similiar on on a site kdraft. I run my bobbin winder with a belt off of a home sewing machine. I will try to remember to get a pic or two tomorrow. Sorry about forgetting. They are not difficult to build at all. I bought all new components when I built mine about 10 years ago. Used would work fine though. Ken

Yes Ray I have one of the electric Bobbin Winders and it works well for me. I have an old Singer that has no Winder on it. my wife bought mine at Joannes fabrics if I recall and it works great. real time saver.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Yes Ray I have one of the electric Bobbin Winders and it works well for me. I have an old Singer that has no Winder on it. my wife bought mine at Joannes fabrics if I recall and it works great. real time saver.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Thanks for the help, Tim, could you possibly post a picture of your bobbin winder and perhaps let me know the make? I'd be most grateful.

Ray

Ray, I think a separate electric bobbin winder would be wildly out of place in your shop.

With all the old machines you have, you should instead invest in a treadle model, which would more closely match the decor.

:)

Ray, I think a separate electric bobbin winder would be wildly out of place in your shop.

With all the old machines you have, you should instead invest in a treadle model, which would more closely match the decor.

:)

I'm afraid you are behind the times, Mike. Its been 'out with the old and in with the new' around here for a while now - at least where sewing machines are concerned! (Okay - I won't part with my lovely 29k but the rest are modern).

However, I'm happy to have a treadle bobbin winder if you are prepared to come along and power it for me - how's that?

Ray

I'm afraid you are behind the times, Mike. Its been 'out with the old and in with the new' around here for a while now - at least where sewing machines are concerned! (Okay - I won't part with my lovely 29k but the rest are modern).

However, I'm happy to have a treadle bobbin winder if you are prepared to come along and power it for me - how's that?

Ray

Ray, let me see if I can get this done tonight. Ken

Bobbin Winder 1.jpg

post-3450-127000201031_thumb.jpg

If anyone's looking for motors for this, the ones of old Singer 201k machines work pretty well, and those machines can be had cheap. The motors on them are just bolted on the outside and can be cleanly removed without damaging the machine at all.

Don't stress bout wrecking a "valuable antique" by taking bits off, they made millions of 201s, but if the machine is in good nick still, consider donating it to charity.

Ray, let me see if I can get this done tonight. Ken

THAT LOOKS LIKE WHAT RAY WILL NEED...........BUT HE WILL HAVE TO REMEMBER TO WIND THE BOBBIBS. :deadsubject::rofl::rofl:

Ray this is the one I have and it works great

This one is at Amazon .com for 21 dollars

41xYcXhc9HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by Tkleather1

Ray this is the one I have and it works great

This one is at Amazon .com for 21 dollars

41xYcXhc9HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How does it get along with pound spools of thread and or big bobbins? Ken

Necissity..is the Mother of invention.......

Hi Ray,

This is a little low tech. Hang another spool on the machine and thread it to the bobbin winder, you can even wind while you sew. OR you can get one of the winders they hang on machines that don't have winders (they attach to the table and run off of the belt), they cost around $10.

Art

Thanks folks,

Ray

How does it get along with pound spools of thread and or big bobbins? Ken

Umm the big bobbins I cant answer that, because my little singer only takes little bobbins. The large spools of thread that is easy just mount it off of the machine. I have had no problem with that yet.