woodknack

Prices Seem Too High

Id like to get into making some stuff out of leather. Originally wanted to make a holster for my Ruger Single Six. But after I look around on the net for holsters for my S S , it seems like I can buy one far more cheaper then making one. Just the price of leather sometime is the cost of a new holster? I don't get it. I'd like to get into this hobby but not sure if it is worth it if I can just buy one a lot cheaper then making it myself. And I am sure if I bought a holster it would be 10 times better then anything I could make right off the bat. I'd have so much time and money in leather and tools that I don't think it is worth it? Or am I missing something? For example: Can you build a holster like this and sell it for this kind of money? Or even buy the materials for that price?

Cabelas holster

Or check this one out

another one

Unless maybe there is a place you can buy leather cheap??

In today's economy Im looking for the most cost effective way to do things. No more throwing my money away.

So can someone tell me how making your own holster without breaking the bank? Or am I just better looking around for the best deal and buy it already made?

Thanks for all and any help..

Woodknack

I think you're on to something here. Those of us who work with leather already have most of the tools we need, so our "cost" for a new holster is a chunk of leather, which is likely less than $20 for some really nice cowhide ('course, we buy $125 and cut it out).

If leathercraft is something you're interested in, then there is alot of information and assistance around here. If what you want is one holster, then you probably want to purchase a finished one. I'm not familiar with the ones you displayed. They certainly look good, but I have no idea about the quality. One note from the "odd" guy ... while I LIKE hand-crafted, I will NOT say that hand-made is necessarily better than "commercial". I cut with a knife, "they" cut with a die -- doesn't really matter.

What got me into this, was a guy from work that had some tooling he has had for years and does not use anymore. So he gave them to me. I got onto Tandy's site and almost fell over when I saw some of the prices! If you priced everything out I would probably have close to $100.00 worth of tooling he gave me. Id still need more basic stuff to do what I want. Leather needle thread (to do holsters) etc... And after I looked at the cost of leather I got another shock! I don't want to fall into another hobby that cost me more money then I can get out of it. And seems like a long time before you get back your cost. Just erks me because when times are tough seems like stuff just gets more expensive. Its got to go the other way here soon I would think. Maybe I should just sell the tools and buy a holster!!:rolleyes2:

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Edited by woodknack

There's no way to buy into leathersmithing on the cheap. As a hobby, it's like any other, you'll spend more money every week. I would not want to turn away anybody from taking it up, but there has to more than a desire to save money on products you see. Most foreign made stuff (probably that holster) is made from leather they get before us, and twice as cheap, and from labor paid well below our minimum wages. If they made it here in the US, they buy leather at the pallette price, click everything out on their expensive machinary, and sell so many they can reduce labor cost.

Now if you were resourcesful, you could make that holster by hunting for some leather scrap, picking up a couple needles, and some waxed thread, and using the tools given to you. After you made a posterboard pattern, cut it out, sew it by hand, and stamp your designs. Your cost then would only be your labor and thread. But sooner or later, you'll have to invest. There are plenty of vendors here to find leather a bit cheaper (some sell scraps, too), and better than a local Tandy, but you'll have to invest some research time on the Board, here, to see what you might want out of this as a hobby. You can save money AFTER you have invested. Takes money to save money. Most people in leatherworking, just have a deep down desire to make things. Things they can't buy elsewhere, or to make better versions of those things. What do you want to say: "I saved $10.", or "Look what I made." To say both means you spent a lot more money than it actually costs at the store.

just my 2 pennies, and I can barely afford them....lol

There's no way to buy into leathersmithing on the cheap. As a hobby, it's like any other, you'll spend more money every week. I would not want to turn away anybody from taking it up, but there has to more than a desire to save money on products you see. Most foreign made stuff (probably that holster) is made from leather they get before us, and twice as cheap, and from labor paid well below our minimum wages. If they made it here in the US, they buy leather at the pallette price, click everything out on their expensive machinary, and sell so many they can reduce labor cost.

Now if you were resourcesful, you could make that holster by hunting for some leather scrap, picking up a couple needles, and some waxed thread, and using the tools given to you. After you made a posterboard pattern, cut it out, sew it by hand, and stamp your designs. Your cost then would only be your labor and thread. But sooner or later, you'll have to invest. There are plenty of vendors here to find leather a bit cheaper (some sell scraps, too), and better than a local Tandy, but you'll have to invest some research time on the Board, here, to see what you might want out of this as a hobby. You can save money AFTER you have invested. Takes money to save money. Most people in leatherworking, just have a deep down desire to make things. Things they can't buy elsewhere, or to make better versions of those things. What do you want to say: "I saved $10.", or "Look what I made." To say both means you spent a lot more money than it actually costs at the store.

Thank you. I do love making stuff with my hands. Just money seems really tight right now. I'll keep combing the site looking for a good deal on some 8/9 leather to make the holster I want to try.

P.S. wouldn't you stamp your design before you sew it? Im new to this. but you wrote "After you made a posterboard pattern, cut it out, sew it by hand, and stamp your designs."

Edited by woodknack

Of course stamp then sew, sorry for my thought processes...I type faster than I think...lol

Call some of the vendors, they have scrap bundles, or pieces left over from their manufacturing. Work out a pattern, then just ask for a piece big enough...say as an example, 8" by 32". 8/9 oz leather is probably heavier than you need for a holster, more like 6/7oz.

I'm sure there's a lot of people here who will help out, once you decide to go for it.

Of course stamp then sew, sorry for my thought processes...I type faster than I think...lol

Call some of the vendors, they have scrap bundles, or pieces left over from their manufacturing. Work out a pattern, then just ask for a piece big enough...say as an example, 8" by 32". 8/9 oz leather is probably heavier than you need for a holster, more like 6/7oz.

I'm sure there's a lot of people here who will help out, once you decide to go for it.

Thanks again. I was looking at one of the cowboy holsters on here. Says they made theres out of 8/9 ounce vegetable tanned leather. Looking to make something for my Ruger Single Six.

There's no way to buy into leathersmithing on the cheap. As a hobby, it's like any other, you'll spend more money every week. I would not want to turn away anybody from taking it up, but there has to more than a desire to save money on products you see. ...Most people in leatherworking, just have a deep down desire to make things. Things they can't buy elsewhere, or to make better versions of those things. What do you want to say: "I saved $10.", or "Look what I made." To say both means you spent a lot more money than it actually costs at the store.

Well said. Many people have said to me. "I'm not a professional- I just make things to finance more tools and leather." When a customer comes into the shop and wants a $100 item for $15 because that's what it costs at the Mart of Wal, well, drive down and get one. If I went to rdb's shop and said, "I want a holster to match my other gear, with a certain cant, an extra feature or two, and my name in neon." I'd get it. You can't get custom work from mass manufacturers, which is why some of us can still pay the bills on Friday.

If you want to take this up as a hobby, nah, it ain't cheap. It is satisfying and productive, and it feels good to combine function and form, like woodworking. If you want to be a professional, you have to work twice as hard at sales as the plumber or the electrician because the customer can go buy a nylon cheapie mass-produced boring item at a fraction of the cost, and the house isn't flooding or dark, so the customers are not as desperate.

I encourage you to explore leatherworking. You have a start on tools, and an interest, and you always have us if you have a question. We're the unofficial "leatherworkers support group", all bitten by the leather bug, and we have meetings every night in the chat room. We know we're addicted, so we just try to help each other improve our work. When we figure out how to save money at it, we get all excited. Click the retailer ads at the top of the page to get more info. They are known for working with their customers above and beyond the call of duty.

When you start making things that please you, you'll be hooked. But don't worry, you're in a good crowd.

Johanna

Id like to get into making some stuff out of leather. Originally wanted to make a holster for my Ruger Single Six. But after I look around on the net for holsters for my S S , it seems like I can buy one far more cheaper then making one. Just the price of leather sometime is the cost of a new holster? I don't get it. I'd like to get into this hobby but not sure if it is worth it if I can just buy one a lot cheaper then making it myself. And I am sure if I bought a holster it would be 10 times better then anything I could make right off the bat. I'd have so much time and money in leather and tools that I don't think it is worth it? Or am I missing something? For example: Can you build a holster like this and sell it for this kind of money? Or even buy the materials for that price?

Cabelas holster

Or check this one out

another one

In today's economy Im looking for the most cost effective way to do things. No more throwing my money away.

So can someone tell me how making your own holster without breaking the bank? Or am I just better looking around for the best deal and buy it already made?

Woodknack

If and when you do decide to stay with leather crafting, you could save money in the long run if you apply for a wholesale club. There is at least a 10% savings on most items, and sometimes you can get even more, depending on what you buy. Tandy has two prices for their wholesale club; the gold card is $35.00 a year and then there is their wholesale club - Elite that costs $150 a year. If you get the Elite card, there is a 50% savings on merchandise. Check your nearest store or go back on-line and apply there. Springfield Leather Co. also has a wholesale club.

Well said. Many people have said to me. "I'm not a professional- I just make things to finance more tools and leather." When a customer comes into the shop and wants a $100 item for $15 because that's what it costs at the Mart of Wal, well, drive down and get one. If I went to rdb's shop and said, "I want a holster to match my other gear, with a certain cant, an extra feature or two, and my name in neon." I'd get it. You can't get custom work from mass manufacturers, which is why some of us can still pay the bills on Friday.

If you want to take this up as a hobby, nah, it ain't cheap. It is satisfying and productive, and it feels good to combine function and form, like woodworking. If you want to be a professional, you have to work twice as hard at sales as the plumber or the electrician because the customer can go buy a nylon cheapie mass-produced boring item at a fraction of the cost, and the house isn't flooding or dark, so the customers are not as desperate.

I encourage you to explore leatherworking. You have a start on tools, and an interest, and you always have us if you have a question. We're the unofficial "leatherworkers support group", all bitten by the leather bug, and we have meetings every night in the chat room. We know we're addicted, so we just try to help each other improve our work. When we figure out how to save money at it, we get all excited. Click the retailer ads at the top of the page to get more info. They are known for working with their customers above and beyond the call of duty.

When you start making things that please you, you'll be hooked. But don't worry, you're in a good crowd.

Johanna

Thanks!

What got me into this, was a guy from work that had some tooling he has had for years and does not use anymore. So he gave them to me. I got onto Tandy's site and almost fell over when I saw some of the prices! If you priced everything out I would probably have close to $100.00 worth of tooling he gave me. Id still need more basic stuff to do what I want. Leather needle thread (to do holsters) etc... And after I looked at the cost of leather I got another shock! I don't want to fall into another hobby that cost me more money then I can get out of it. And seems like a long time before you get back your cost. Just erks me because when times are tough seems like stuff just gets more expensive. Its got to go the other way here soon I would think. Maybe I should just sell the tools and buy a holster!!rolleyes2.gif

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Just my two cents worth here. Any hobby, regardless of the nature, is undertaken for the enjoyment and satisfaction gained from its' personal full fillment. Leather work is relatively expensive. Here's an analogy. Hunting. I was a firearms instructor and hunter education instructor for several years. My favorite question to ask of a new hunter ed. class was, " why do you want to hunt". Envariablely, (sp) there would be more than one answer of "cheap meat". Let's break it down for the first time hunter. Truck, fuel, camper/tent, license, rifle, pistol, ammo, hours at the range, hours in the field, knives, packs, all the shiney new gadgets! Get the point? I have hunted over a great deal of the west, and alot of the south. If I had ever, once, set on a hillside with a calculator and figured up what a pound of elk, deer, pronghorn, pheasants, etc. was costing me, I would sold my gear and headed for King Soopers and bought bologna!! If you enjoy it, if you can see part of yourself in the completion, maybe others admire what you have done---that is the true reward. And, it is cheaper than drug rehab! Sorry---I got a little winded here. Good luck in your endeavor, and happy tooling.

I am new at this too but i have done a few things like wallets and cell phone cases, if you are looking to sell then you are going to have a tough go, moneys tight and people are cheap i should know i'm as cheap as they get, I personally have gotten alot of stuff from freinds that had "a business" and I have bought a lot of stuff on ebay sometimes you can find really excellent deals from people that just don't know what it is they are selling. i have a blast at doing this, tracing and stamping and so on i just can't get enough. as far as where you should start is just by getting some scrap leather at your local craft store or buy some from tandy and prctice practice practice, this hobby is VERY not as easy as it looks but when you get it right it is the bomb. If you look ebay under leathercrafting you can find a bunch of easy to read books and tools the ones i use all the time are "LEATHERWORK" by A D Patten Al Stohlman and J A Wilson and Adventures in leather I don't know who wrote this one but it is very good. Again like I said I love to do this and it it very rewarding, definitely something you should try Bryan

Cabelas holster

Or check this one out

another one

Woodknack

it will depend on what your goals are for the hobby. Leathercraft is like reloading. it allows the user to taylor make his own holsters, belts or whatever he wants to fit his needs. Shooting isnt a cheap hobby anymore either. your initial investment of 300ish for your single six is expensive now and trying to find inexpensive ammo isnt happening anymore either. if you want to shoot 22 Mags, then its more expensive. if all you want is a cheap holster, it appears you found one. btw, if you buy it, dont forget how much you paid for it when you get it home and see what your $30.00 bought. with the global economy and such, its not that difficult to find "cheap" products.

you can do the leatherwork inexpensively if you choose to do so. if you want to tool the leather then, you will have addtion time ($?) into the craft. i dont do any tooling, so its just plain jane stuff for me. i do have alot of $$ into the craft since i found its nice to have the right tools to do the right job. you could get away with less expensive tool or to make them yourself, but i dont have a shop at my disposal.

i have access to Oregon Leather so i can just drop in and buy some "scrap" pieces to make what i want. they have loads of "scrap" there and you should be able to find something that will work. I also have some hides that i have purchased a while ago, so i can use those to, but if im doing a quick holster/project and am not sure if its going to work out, i will use some scrap pieces.

also, any hobby will have an entry fee, its just the way the game is played. but once you have paid that price, you can do as you please. it can be an expensive hobby, but so are my others, but it allows me to spend some quite time and to do something i want to do when i want to do it at my own pace.

Hobby! This is an addiction. The holsters you include links to are functional, but they are no where near as nice as something you could make yourself if you get good at this.

I started like you did in the late 1970s with a few tools and some belt blanks. I got out of it for a while, but since I started cowboy action shooting 7 years ago, I have jumped back into it with both feet. I wasn’t willing to pay hundreds for a top of the line gun rig when I knew I could make one just as good myself. I made a set of holsters for myself and soon I was making more for other cowboy shooters.

Last year I spent thousands on a new leather sewing machine, new tools, leather, dye, and other accessories, but I also sold a couple of thousand dollars worth of holsters and gun belts to other cowboy action shooters.

Leather and supplies are not cheap, but it is a great feeling to see other people using stuff that you made and wanting to buy more.

Hobby! This is an addiction. The holsters you include links to are functional, but they are no where near as nice as something you could make yourself if you get good at this.

Well guy, Ditto to what all others have said....the game 'tain't cheap. None are, if you are going to do things right. Hunting, fishing, camping, car repair and/or maintenance, gardening, woodworking etc...all have their own (expensive) costs associated with them. BUT you do not have to jump in with both feet to start working leather. There are some basic tools that you would need to start with for basic leather work....more if you intend to tool (carve) your work......but the basic working tools can be obtained for relatively low cost. Much (most) of my work does not include tooling, it is for people that want and need a solid working holster made to their specifications. The vast majority are for law enforcement officers followed by competition shooters then a smattering of knowledgeable sportsmen.

My first holster was made from a Tandy kit in 1958. It worked, but even then I soon realized that any holster (or pattern, for that matter) that is made to fit "4 5/8, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 barrel length varieties" or for "your .22 caliber revolver", are generic holsters. They will work, but there is a vast difference between something that 'will work' and a holster that actually fits your own firearm and your needs. In (JMHO) some cases you'd be better off buying a carpenter's tool pouch, one of the pockets could carry your gun AND you could carry useful tools too! As has been said, the degree of cant, the length of drop, color, safety strap (or lack of one) ease of draw, etc. are all matters to be considered in a working holster. You just can't get every desirable feature that fits YOU in a cheap generic holster that is made to fit a variety of guns. There is nothing like the feel, and sound, of your handgun slipping into a holster that is made specifically to fit your firearm....and you.....it's a sort of 'thuck' as it seats, firmly, but not too tight in the formed leather. It sits comfortably where it's supposed to and is secure. I primarily make holsters to fit specific needs and/or with specific features that are not readily available on the open market. Many are left handed. All, except historically accurate western holsters, are made of two layers of 4/5 oz veg tanned leather, bonded rough side to rough side, saddle stitched (hand stitched) all around then wet molded to the owner's firearm. It is very satisfying to see the look on a customer's face, and to hear his comments the first time he places his gun into a properly fitted holster. I don't make a whole bunch of money in this game but I have the satisfaction of knowing my customers get the best I can make and that I have never had a dissatisfied customer. I guess it all boils down to what you want. Mike

Those holsters you pointed to aren't lined, which is one thing you could offer that most mass produced holsters don't offer. Most knife sheaths aren't lined either which is doubly bad for high carbon blades. Doesn't take much to make a wood, kydex or even plastic liner for the inside of the sheath. There's two things you could offer that would be one up on the mass produced versions. My local cobblers are always getting request for custom sheaths and holsters, I'll bet the cobblers in your area would also refer these clients to you because most cobblers just don't have the time to make custom stuff even if they wanted to.

I've been making small things out of oil tanned leather, which saves me from having to buy dye and scrap wool to finish veg-tan leather; also saves me from having to buy stamp tools, but the small things I make are actually paying for all my leather and allowing me to collect the tools I need for carving and dying veg-tan.