chouinardragon

How To Cut Tight Corner With Head/round Knife

Hi,

Since I've been researching,searching and buying tools for almost a year. I'm totally unexperienced.

Yesterday,I finally stepped forward. I picked up an old Osborne round knife and tried to cut a leather.

It was okay for me to cut straight but when I cut the tight corner, I just couldn't cut it smoothly.

How to cut tight corner smoothly with a head / round knife? I draw two pictures as attached, which one is correct?

Thanks!

I also tried some other tools I have and totally enjoyed with these tools. It's fun.

Chris

howtocut.jpg

post-11650-127054175957_thumb.jpg

Just my amateur input but this is what I do. If its a longer sweeping bend or corner I do it with one fell swoop of the knife using the tip portion. If its really tight I will do several cuts putting a little bit of a turn for each one which helps eliminate some of the blocking that can result.

I generally allways use just the portion that you have highlighted showing the tips with a little more area included say twice as much depending on the straightness of the cut.

I also have the head knifes with the little bit more of a pointed tip as opposed to the fuller circle tip like the one you have shown.

Oh and I also have better luck making darn sure Im perpendicular, if Im not straight up and down I tend to roll the edge of the leather and make sure to start the bend after you begin cutting. If you start the bend before you really start cutting I tend to bunch the leather a tad and make for a not so neat cut.

I've seen a suggestion to use a punch for a tight inside corner.

SkipJ

Hi,

Since I've been researching,searching and buying tools for almost a year. I'm totally unexperienced.

Yesterday,I finally stepped forward. I picked up an old Osborne round knife and tried to cut a leather.

It was okay for me to cut straight but when I cut the tight corner, I just couldn't cut it smoothly.

How to cut tight corner smoothly with a head / round knife? I draw two pictures as attached, which one is correct?

Thanks!

I also tried some other tools I have and totally enjoyed with these tools. It's fun.

Chris

One way of doing it as well is using the tip (like in your right side picture), but gently score the leather over the curve you are wanting to make. Then go back and cut it out all the way through.

It is easier shown than explained. Here is another way of looking at it. Push the knife around the corner, but don't cut all the way through. Just make it enough that it gives you a guide. After that is done, go back and cut it (using the tip of the knife) all the way through.

99% of the problem you are experiencing is ( I'm willing to wager) that the knife is not sharp enough. Out of the box the Osbornes aren't sharp enough. There's some good threads/tips on this board explaining the whys and wherefores, and even how to sharpen. Dig a little deeper here on the board with some searches, and you'll see.

A well sharpened knife will cut through and around any corner, at any point on the blade.

Good point RDB, I forgot about that. I know it took me a long time thinking my knives were sharp before reading alot of the threads here on sharpening and found out they were far from it. Life got alot easier after I learned how to sharpen them properly.

A sharp head knife can easily cut down to a 3/8 radius curve smaller than that punch it. When going around curves you want the tip of the handle as low to the leather as you can get it.

Here's another method that you may like to consider . . .

howtocut1.jpg

post-7199-127059661244_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot. Not just how to cut with a round knife but how to sharpen it. Okay, I got it.

I'll sharpen my knife and try the ways you told. You guys rock!

Chris