Sign in to follow this  
JeffGC

Working With Shark Skin

Shortly, I'm constructing a pancake holster with the front covered with shark skin. I have a few questions for those of you familiar with exotics.

1. I'm planning to attach the shark skin to 4-5 oz. leather using Barge Cement? Acceptable?
  2. The shark skin is black. Should I dye the other parts before assembly? Typically, I dip black holsters after assembly.
  3. Should I groove before stitching? Any suggestions on grooving such a rough surface?
  4. How do I mark stitching lines on the rough, black shark skin? I'm referring to the weapon outline stitch line.
  5. Do I burnish edges the same as vegetable tanned leather?
  6. Is Bag Kote okay for a top coat?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Shortly, I'm constructing a pancake holster with the front covered with shark skin. I have a few questions for those of you familiar with exotics.

1. I'm planning to attach the shark skin to 4-5 oz. leather using Barge Cement? Acceptable?
  2. The shark skin is black. Should I dye the other parts before assembly? Typically, I dip black holsters after assembly.
  3. Should I groove before stitching? Any suggestions on grooving such a rough surface?
  4. How do I mark stitching lines on the rough, black shark skin? I'm referring to the weapon outline stitch line.

Jeff

Jeff

I would dye the other parts first and not the shark.

I haven't had much luck grooving shark except for the straight runs and then only to get a mark. I use the outside toe of my presser foot a a guage and freehand it around everything else. The stitching pulls down nicely in the shark anyways.

If you are covering the entire front I think I would use 6/7 for the front and 7/8 or8/9 for the back.

Edge burnishing is the same.

I don't know about bag kote never used it on shark.

Edited by Denster

• I'm planning to attach the shark skin to 4-5 oz. leather using Barge Cement? Acceptable?
Barge yes, a minimum of 6-7 is what I would use. Shark is quite piable and offers little or no support
  • The shark skin is black. Should I dye the other parts before assembly? Typically, I dip black holsters after assembly.

Agree with Denster, dye your other parts first.

• Should I groove before stitching? Any suggestions on grooving such a rough surface?
I used my stitching groover, several light passes until I had a line, then used my 4 prong diamond chisel punch ftom Tandy to mark the holes. I actually used it for punching the holes which is what I use all the time. A very small brush with black dye on the groove before youstitch will keep it black.
  • How do I mark stitching lines on the rough, black shark skin? I'm referring to the weapon outline stitch line.

See above

• Do I burnish edges the same as vegetable tanned leather?
Yes, it burnishes nicely. take the small brush and black dye to the edges first, or even a black sharpy should work.
  • Is Bag Kote okay for a top coat?

I have no experience with Bag coat, but I believe it should. I use resolene 50/50 with good results

Jeff

Never worked with Barge but from what I hear you should be fine. I use WeldWood with great results on shark

I actually dye any pieces that will be glued together and edged before gluing. This ensures that my glue line will be dyed as well. Really you only need to dye the edges of the pieces being glued. Makes for less dry time and produces the same visual result.

I mark the stitch lines with a groover just enough to see where I'm going. I don't really put a groove in the shark but I'm using a machine so the foot imprints the groove for me. Use the same color string to stitch as your finished product and you'll be fine.

Burnishing is just the same. Just get a good glue down and you're good to go.

I use full strength Resolene so I can't comment on BagKote

Edited by Shorts

I've finally made my first holster with shark skin. The shark skin was laminated to 4-5 oz veg tan. The back of the holster was fabricated with two pieces of 4-5 oz veg tan.

Regards,

Jeff

post-10292-030510000 1285265180_thumb.jp

post-10292-041654500 1285265193_thumb.jp

post-10292-024020100 1285265228_thumb.jp

WOW! thats beautiful! (the 1911 too! I love those grips! Beautiful contrast to the deep black textured shark skin.)

-Tac

Edited by Tac

Wow! That's a piece of beauty. Love the shark skin. Where did you get it?

Shark skin was was www.ostrichmarket.com.

Regards,

Jeff