John at Byson

Another Old Machine To Worry About :-)

Picked up another old Singer machine to play with. Its a Singer 46K30 heavy duty glover's machine. It SEEMS to work, at least in single thread mode, but if anyone has any experience with these and pictures of one set up to work, Id like to hear from you  :-) 

Singer 46K30 3.JPG

post-14222-127140726418_thumb.jpg

Ok, I don't know how that works, but I want one :) 

I inherited a similar( no name) sewing machine from my grandfather. He was furrier and used it over 45 years to make hats and other small items at home.

I will take some pictures later today.

I use "Schmetz" needles for it.

the leather needles ( sharp point) box says:

Canu: 14:25 AX

Nm: 90/14

System: 16x230 NRTW

1738 LR

1738 A LR

DxF2

the regular ( round point) needles box says:

Canu: 14:25

Nm: 120/19

System: 1738

16x231, 16x257

SY 2270

DBx1, DBx257

The needles are a bit larger(thicker?) than the last original needle I got with this machine. I will take pictures of them too if you like.

It makes a stitch that covers the edge.

My grandfather always said: These machines don't need any repairs only new needles ;)

Gesa

I inherited a similar( no name) sewing machine from my grandfather. He was furrier and used it over 45 years to make hats and other small items at home.

I will take some pictures later today.

The needles are a bit larger(thicker?) than the last original needle I got with this machine. I will take pictures of them too if you like.

It makes a stitch that covers the edge.

My grandfather always said: These machines don't need any repairs only new needles ;)

Gesa

Yup, it is a one or two thread chain stitch machine. As far as I can see, the needle runs through the fabric, the looper picks up the thread and brings it back over the seam, and the wheels move the seam forward an amount governed by a ratchet wheel; the needle then runs through the loop and through the fabric again making the stitch and so on. (In one  thread mode).

Not _exactly_ certain how it works in two thread mode but an alternative looper is also threaded.

The Singer 176 furrier's machine is similar. And I want one of those to    :-)

Nice fur machine you got there. Here's an instruction manual if you need it: http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/46K29_K30.pdf

We sell a similar machine, the Techsew 202 and Techsew 402. If you want to see some closeup shots of how it sews and how the stitch is made we have some videos up on youtube:

Good luck with your new machine!

Ron