Sign in to follow this  
olds cool

Backgrounding In An Even Manner

Every time I pick up a tool, I learn something new. One thing that hasn't clicked for me yet is backgrounding in an even manner. I've studied pictures from various skilled leatherworkers and the background always looks so even and uniform. No hint of tool edges, patterns always looking just right. Mine just looks like slop. I know practice makes perfect and believe me I'll be doing lots of practice. I was hoping that some of you could share that magical ahh haa moment when you figured it out and what you do. Like I said, I don't mind practicing but I hate wasting leather. Any tips at all would be helpful.

First mistake I made with backgrounding was not letting the leather get dry enough, I was trying to do it while it was way to wet and it would basically just squish around.

Every time I pick up a tool, I learn something new. One thing that hasn't clicked for me yet is backgrounding in an even manner. I've studied pictures from various skilled leatherworkers and the background always looks so even and uniform. No hint of tool edges, patterns always looking just right. Mine just looks like slop. I know practice makes perfect and believe me I'll be doing lots of practice. I was hoping that some of you could share that magical ahh haa moment when you figured it out and what you do. Like I said, I don't mind practicing but I hate wasting leather. Any tips at all would be helpful.

MadMax has a good point, don't use a background tool on wet/damp leather. Let it almost dry before you begin using the backgrounder. Also, move the tool back and forth, and around in circles until all ridges and bumps/humps are gone. This takes Practice and it wasn't until Tony Laier told me what to do, that I began getting better results. If you hold the leather project at an angle to a light source you can see the high and low spots, as well as the ridges. Go back over these and keep checking you work. And, practice, practice, practice.

That's gotta be it, my leather is too wet. I'm still working out the right amout of wetness. Thanks! You guys saved me a huge learning curve.

Throwing in a quickie here. I allways bevel all edges in a normal fashion prior to doing background so that you don't push the leather to the sides wich will make your tooling come out a bit flat.

Tom

Backgrounders and Mattings I've got down pretty good. It's the Bargrounders that are still a pain in the rear to keep it looking even.

charlie

Backgrounders and Mattings I've got down pretty good. It's the Bargrounders that are still a pain in the rear to keep it looking even.

charlie

I had that same problem till I switched to a slightly larger bargrounder. For some reason, I find the larger size easier to work with and get decent results. Check out Barry King's bargrounders. They come in many sizes.

I "walk" the backgrounder just like a beveler. I don't know if it's right or not, but it seems to work most of the time for me.

Kevin