Sign in to follow this  
jpsjewel

Iridescent Colors

I am trying to create a hummingbird belt buckle and want to get an iridescent look to some of the colors to make it look more lifelike. So far, the colors I've tried are bright but not iridescent. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can achieve this look?

take a look at the craft paint at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

they have what you need.

Edited by Luke Hatley

I concure with Luke;; photo #007 in my gallery on my profile page is the gold color

regards..Doc..

Towards the bottom of this link:

http://www.artsupply.com/createx/airbrush2oz.htm

you will find iridecent colors, I hope the'll do :-)

Thanks all for the responses. Do you apply these the same as paints or dyes specifically made for leather or is it a different process?

Thanks all for the responses. Do you apply these the same as paints or dyes specifically made for leather or is it a different process?

The paints you buy at a leather store like tandy's are just acrylic paints so you paint with them just the same as you would on anything else, except I've found that I need more coats than I would on a canvas. Acrylics do have different properties though so some of them might not work as well on leather as far as how they look or how many coats are needed. I haven't tried these out myself yet but I saw some awesome leather masks that were painted with this and then finished in resolene or something similar:

colorfast Liquitex acrylics

Tell me how it works out because I want to try these paints as soon as I run out of what I've got already