Sign in to follow this  

Well gave the purse thing another go. This time from scratch which has been a learning experience. Simple design. This one is gonna be for a friend of mine (friends get the trials, errors, oops, wonder if this will work projects).

First big glaring error and the primary one I ran into was misplacing the darn snap keeper thing which I will highly never use this type again. I wanted a hidden snap but man these things are pretty weak. Anyways,

Other things I think I need to work on the side walls as far as construction, I had in my mind what I wanted but it came out a tad different. Need to tweak the design a bit.

Well its 5oz HO, hand stitched, oiled, neatlac. I did use a tad of mahogany antique on the carving (front piece actually to keep the color the same) just to bring it out a bit. I still really need to work on my carving skills.

Lined it with some suede split. Which I had to cut a hole in to move the darn keeper then glue back down in that area. Ok enough ranting about that lol.

Sorry about the pics but the flash was the closest I could get to the actual color it is.

front closeup.jpg

front open.jpg

inside veiw.jpg

side veiw.jpg

post-5781-127330308895_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127330309802_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127330310849_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127330311604_thumb.jpg

Awesome job

Nice work Max. My first purse turned out a whale of alot different than what I had envisioned!! Looked more like a bowling ball bag than a purse. You did well.

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

How did you put the sides in? I am looking for a way something very similair to this to do the sides so I don't have to lace the whole thing - I don't know if you can explain it very well, but any information you can give me on how you did this would be great! Good job!

Charlene Stovin

How did you put the sides in? I am looking for a way something very similair to this to do the sides so I don't have to lace the whole thing - I don't know if you can explain it very well, but any information you can give me on how you did this would be great! Good job!

Charlene Stovin

I will be doing another one here shortly and will post pics of the process this time around. Its really pretty simple but takes a little work.

You can see on the inside there is the one piece of leather that is cut with half circles on each end, make two of these just like on the inside, make two more that have extra length that go around aboutmost of them to use as a tab to bend out. On the two outer ones I wet form the extra tab portion kind of like you would a tool bag for a motorcycle. Once they they are wet formed I ad the d-ring keeper. Then I glue the inside ones (without the tabs) to the inside and stitch these in. Now you have the double layered portion with a lip around most of it to sew to your purse body.

I take the body and put on any clasp hardware that I want covered on the inside then glued my suede to it. I then match mark where the gusset portions I made will go and skiv the suede in this area. I used a french edger for this. Not to much of a skiv, just enough to take the suede down at a angle to the vegtan leather.

Next I glue and clamp one gussett at a time and stitch that to the body. Stitch around the flap at this time also as you go around. I forgot to add also I stitch the front (under the flap) before I put the gussetts on.

Thats about it, kind of hard to explain but is relatively easy once you get it. Ive got another one I will be making at the end of the week and Ill take pics of my process as I go along and post it up.

I will be doing another one here shortly and will post pics of the process this time around. Its really pretty simple but takes a little work.

You can see on the inside there is the one piece of leather that is cut with half circles on each end, make two of these just like on the inside, make two more that have extra length that go around aboutmost of them to use as a tab to bend out. On the two outer ones I wet form the extra tab portion kind of like you would a tool bag for a motorcycle. Once they they are wet formed I ad the d-ring keeper. Then I glue the inside ones (without the tabs) to the inside and stitch these in. Now you have the double layered portion with a lip around most of it to sew to your purse body.

I take the body and put on any clasp hardware that I want covered on the inside then glued my suede to it. I then match mark where the gusset portions I made will go and skiv the suede in this area. I used a french edger for this. Not to much of a skiv, just enough to take the suede down at a angle to the vegtan leather.

Next I glue and clamp one gussett at a time and stitch that to the body. Stitch around the flap at this time also as you go around. I forgot to add also I stitch the front (under the flap) before I put the gussetts on.

Thats about it, kind of hard to explain but is relatively easy once you get it. Ive got another one I will be making at the end of the week and Ill take pics of my process as I go along and post it up.

Thank you, that would really help me, I am looking for some purse designs that are "easier" to do, and I can put together fairly well....your design really caught my attention to be something that would work great for me - can't wait to see the next one, and learn from it too- thanks for taking the time to respond!

charlene

Well gave the purse thing another go. This time from scratch which has been a learning experience. Simple design. This one is gonna be for a friend of mine (friends get the trials, errors, oops, wonder if this will work projects).

First big glaring error and the primary one I ran into was misplacing the darn snap keeper thing which I will highly never use this type again. I wanted a hidden snap but man these things are pretty weak. Anyways,

Other things I think I need to work on the side walls as far as construction, I had in my mind what I wanted but it came out a tad different. Need to tweak the design a bit.

Well its 5oz HO, hand stitched, oiled, neatlac. I did use a tad of mahogany antique on the carving (front piece actually to keep the color the same) just to bring it out a bit. I still really need to work on my carving skills.

Lined it with some suede split. Which I had to cut a hole in to move the darn keeper then glue back down in that area. Ok enough ranting about that lol.

Sorry about the pics but the flash was the closest I could get to the actual color it is.

Hiya Max, just wondered of the beaten bike track and who do i find ? that looks awsome dude the stitching wow, nice work mate..