Jin w

Question Regarding 6 Strand Round Braid.

For the first time I tried to braid 6 strand round braid. I went one under two over and some reason front and back look different. What am I doing wrong.?

Jin W.

Edited by Jin w

Possibly posting a picture of the two sides might clarify.

6 strand back side.jpg6 strand front side.jpg

Possibly posting a picture of the two sides might clarify.

post-14341-127343860855_thumb.jpg

post-14341-127343862039_thumb.jpg

when you do the 6 you have to do the 2 sides differently...one side is under 1 over 2 and the other side is under 2 over 1 this produces a pattern that matches on 2 sides that is side 1 and 3 will match and 2 and 4 will match. otherwise you have to do the o1u1 pattern. hope this helps.

the pattern you came up with is a half round braid the other one that roo4u mentioned is more square with out a core but will be more "simmetrical" orlike he said you can do o1 u1 and go that way.

when you do the 6 you have to do the 2 sides differently...one side is under 1 over 2 and the other side is under 2 over 1 this produces a pattern that matches on 2 sides that is side 1 and 3 will match and 2 and 4 will match. otherwise you have to do the o1u1 pattern. hope this helps.

Edited by Jin w

I got it right this time and I'll post picture tomorrow. I was also wondering I read somewhere said you can do three different ways to do 6 strand round braiding. Do you know how?

Thank you.

Jin W.

the pattern you came up with is a half round braid the other one that roo4u mentioned is more square with out a core but will be more "simmetrical" orlike he said you can do o1 u1 and go that way.

I got it right this time and I'll post picture tomorrow. I was also wondering I read somewhere said you can do three different ways to do 6 strand round braiding. Do you know how?

Thank you.

Jin W.

For the first time I tried to braid 6 strand round braid. I went one under two over and some reason front and back look different. What am I doing wrong.?

Jin W.

Because its a split number of three either side ( 3 is not dividable by 2 ) you will need to do the opposite on the other sequence ie u1 o2 - 02 u1 or opposite to what the first sequence is !!!!

John

ps purchase a Ron Edwards book/ books which are easy to follow for variable sequences of Braiding

Edited by Hollywood

Because its a split number of three either side ( 3 is not dividable by 2 ) you will need to do the opposite on the other sequence ie u1 o2 - 02 u1 or opposite to what the first sequence is !!!!

John

ps purchase a Ron Edwards book/ books which are easy to follow for variable sequences of Braiding

Great.

Thank you.

Jin.

i would suggest a Tom hall book instead it cheaper but has great info it also has a great section on braids in "western tack tips"

i would suggest a Tom hall book instead it cheaper but has great info it also has a great section on braids in "western tack tips"

Thank you.

Jin W.

Had never thought of that (I use 8 - 12 - 16 or 24 plait) but it makes perfect sence, since with 6 you will have an odd number of plaits on each side.

That takes me to the thought that an odd number on each side (perhaps an 18 plait which would give 9 on each side)can produce some interesting patterns I had not thought of.

Many thanks for the idea.

you are welcome....there is no end to the patterns you can do with multiple strings...im sure that more has been forgotten about braiding over the centuries than most know now. i taught myself to do letters and patterns and shapes using graph paper to do the layout and its awesome what you can do.

you are welcome....there is no end to the patterns you can do with multiple strings...im sure that more has been forgotten about braiding over the centuries than most know now. i taught myself to do letters and patterns and shapes using graph paper to do the layout and its awesome what you can do.

Oh, wow. I love to see the picture of them.

Jin W.

the aussies are the best....i learned to do it by looking at braiding patterns on www.deadringer.com.au in the forum there are a couple of 16 strand patterns...but if you want to see something amazing go to this page

http://www.deadringer.com.au/album/album/72%20x%2036%20Plait/72plait.html

UNBELIEVABLE that is all i can say about the whip in the pictures...omg i can only hope ill be 1/10 that good someday.

the aussies are the best....i learned to do it by looking at braiding patterns on www.deadringer.com.au in the forum there are a couple of 16 strand patterns...but if you want to see something amazing go to this page

http://www.deadringe...it/72plait.html

UNBELIEVABLE that is all i can say about the whip in the pictures...omg i can only hope ill be 1/10 that good someday.

Oh my god. That is so insane I can't imagine the hours that went in to learning this process. Just excellent!