Sign in to follow this  
Zendragon

How Would I Add Grooves To A Belt?

I am working to make something like the photo below. While I have worked with leather before, I have never done any tooling which I suspect this is.

Can anyone give me an idea of where to start with this and what tools I would need to complete the task?

From what I have read, I trace my design onto some transfer paper and then with a stylus copy the design to the leather. From that point though I am not sure if I need something like a swivel tool or something to bevel the edges...

Thanks!

BuckleandHands.jpg

What I can see of the picture it is not cut, like you would do with a swivel knife. It liiks more likek it is creased with a stylus. I would figure out the pattern and mark the corners. Use a straight edge for the main lines. Use a lid, can or something to guide you on the curves. If you try to freehand it then likely you will be wavy far mor ethan you want. Practice on scrap before you do the real thing.

Aaron

Zen If I was doing this I would use my swivel knife and the modified blade I made . I took a 3/8" straight blade and ground it down .then I used a file and made it rounded and buffed it till it was nice and smooth. I used a piece of scrap leather and the blade to show you. I would use a straight edge and the edge of a coffee can or a lid that is the same radius as the curve in the belt to get that radius. as for the gold part I am not sure. The only gold that I have used on leather to get that effect was gold or metal leaf .but it was only on a small part. if you have any questions contact me. Gary

0521101856.jpg

post-12512-127449000594_thumb.jpg

Thanks all, so it sounds like I can get by with just the stylus and a straight edge...

Awesome, I shall experiment.

I had another question. A belt that is worn on the hips, does that need to be curved in order to sit right? If so, are there any patterns/templates out there?

BeltBack.jpg

BuckleandHands.jpg

I had another question. A belt that is worn on the hips, does that need to be curved in order to sit right? If so, are there any patterns/templates out there?

BeltBack.jpg

BuckleandHands.jpg

what belt? i don't see no belt :blink:

I dont remember what the thread was but that was discussed in a older thread. Alot of makers do cut the ladies belts with a curve to them for one due to the ladies curves as opposed to those of men who general can handle a straight belt much easier. If anything it saves on the break in which will cause a belt to naturally take the shape of the wearer. I know this is more important in double layer belts but not sure if it is a real issue with single layer belts depending on thickness of the leather.