Sign in to follow this  
LoveSupreme

Where On Earth To Begin?

Okay, so I'm not a leatherworker. Yet. But I've always been into making things from scratch like that. And it just so happens, my dad found an entire deer hide he had tanned years ago and never did anything with it. So he gave it to me and assigned me to task of making something out of it.

I need probably the most simple thing possible. I was thinking a belt, maybe gloves, something I'll actually use often. Can anyone give me any direction on where to start? I don't have any specialty leatherworking tools. I'm not too interested in embellishing or adorning anything yet. I'd just like something well-made and practical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would load the hide into a bag, . . . head out to the nearest Tandy Leather store. Most managers and folks there are pretty good people, and are interested in creating leather crafters (they sell more products that way).

If you brought it to the Coumbus, Ohio store, . . . Jeff and Scott would be more than happy to help you decide what to do, . . . and even give you some pointers on how to do it, . . . and of course be willing to show you what tools you needed to buy to get it done corrrectly.

May God bless,

Dwight

Okay, so I'm not a leatherworker. Yet. But I've always been into making things from scratch like that. And it just so happens, my dad found an entire deer hide he had tanned years ago and never did anything with it. So he gave it to me and assigned me to task of making something out of it.

I need probably the most simple thing possible. I was thinking a belt, maybe gloves, something I'll actually use often. Can anyone give me any direction on where to start? I don't have any specialty leatherworking tools. I'm not too interested in embellishing or adorning anything yet. I'd just like something well-made and practical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The most simple thing might be a belt or a pouch of some sort. Do you have a dog... perhaps try making a collar. Another idea if you live somewhere that gets cold maybe you can try making a pair of mits.

What you need to do is learn about hand sewing leather. Read the section on sewing leather here as there are some good tutorials floating around. Also do a google search for hand sewing leather for even more.

You can make a lot of things with a knife, some thread and 2 needles.

Like Dwight said, if you have a leather store close by then you should visit them.

have fun...

Gloves can be incredibly challenging for the most experienced leatherworker. And the deer hide will probably be too stretchy and soft for most style of belts. I agree with Jeeperaz, some sort of pouch or simple bag will probably be your best bet.

Edited by Mokosh