I had a customer request a holster in Cordovan. Okay - stupid question time. Is Cordovan a color, or is it horse hide? :head_hurts_kr:

I had a customer request a holster in Cordovan. Okay - stupid question time. Is Cordovan a color, or is it horse hide? :head_hurts_kr:

You'll need to check with them, because it's both. Shell Cordovan is very expensive horsehide leather, and Cordovan is a dye color.

Eric

Cordovan is the subcutaneous layer near the Horse's butt. The horse butts we use from various suppliers are the remnants of the process where the shell cordovan is cut from the horse hide. If you do a search in the leather thread there is a link I posted to a video from Horoween Tannery showing the process for the tanning of Cordovan. It is used mostly in the high end shoe trade. There are a couple of holster makers still using it. Matt DelFatti comes to mind as one. As I understand it finishing it requires some special processes. I did see on another forum that Tony at Milt Sparks holsters saying he had some Cordovan rounds he would sell. I recall the price was about $80. I've never worked with it. K-Man may have some experience with it and may chime in.

Excellent - thank you both for the info. Sounds like something I'm not interested in pursuing at the current time (gotta build my vacuum press, air condition & insulate my shop/garage). Thanks again!

Excellent - thank you both for the info. Sounds like something I'm not interested in pursuing at the current time (gotta build my vacuum press, air condition & insulate my shop/garage). Thanks again!

And if it turns out that your order was for the color, . . . have fun is all I can say.

I did a really beautiful OWB pancake for a 1911 some months back and since it was a piece just for stock, . . . I bought a bottle of Fiebings "Cordovan" to do one to match a pair of favorite shoes I owned many years back (I was kinda feeling nostalgic,.............).

It turned out a really dark orchid, . . . and at the last gun show it made, . . . well, . . . let's just say that it was picked up several times, . . . laid back down, . . . and the folks kinda walked off snickering.

I donated it to a local gun related charity auction.

May God bless,

Dwight

And if it turns out that your order was for the color, . . . have fun is all I can say.

I did a really beautiful OWB pancake for a 1911 some months back and since it was a piece just for stock, . . . I bought a bottle of Fiebings "Cordovan" to do one to match a pair of favorite shoes I owned many years back (I was kinda feeling nostalgic,.............).

It turned out a really dark orchid, . . . and at the last gun show it made, . . . well, . . . let's just say that it was picked up several times, . . . laid back down, . . . and the folks kinda walked off snickering.

I donated it to a local gun related charity auction.

May God bless,

Dwight

Really? My bottles of Fiebings Cordovan have all come out a rich, espresso brown that seems to be pretty popular with my customers.

Heres a pic of a holster I made with fiebings cordovan color. If your looking for a color reference there you go. I did a blend with black so the cordovan is obviously the red portion.

Bolster.jpg