I just completed my first belt. I put on the belt a few times to try and break it in a little bit before staining it. However, after I antiqued it with dark mahogany, I put the belt buckle back and as i bent the tip back to snap it in place, stretch marks appeared and it changed the color drastically to a much lighter purple. Is there any way I can prevent this next time from happening?

that happens to a lot of folks.....next time WET the leather then make the fold.

that happens to a lot of folks.....next time WET the leather then make the fold.

Thats what I thought, but the reason I didn't do that is because of the antique I used. Wouldn't the water discolor the antique also since it is water-based or do I wet it after the super sheen and then make the bend?

You gotta try and plan it out a little bit and do it when you can. I usually carve and stitch the belt. Dye and edge the belt and make sure all my holes and such are punched. Then I wet it and bend the flap. Once that is dry I will oil the belt and do any antiquing and sealing that I need to do.

You gotta try and plan it out a little bit and do it when you can. I usually carve and stitch the belt. Dye and edge the belt and make sure all my holes and such are punched. Then I wet it and bend the flap. Once that is dry I will oil the belt and do any antiquing and sealing that I need to do.

Thank you both for your insight. I do have a few extra questions. I have looked around for the answers but

1. Stitching before dying/antique doesn't discolor the thread? I have no idea, I haven't stitched anything like that yet.

2. To oil the belt, cover it in gum tragacanth/atom wax/ or neatsfoot doesn't effect the antiquing? Which is best for this without making the leather darker? Should I wait a few hours until the oil is dry before antiquing or is it safe to do it immediately after.

3. Is there a website or book I could find that details the steps? I have Belts Galore by Al Stohlman, but he doesn't cover that.

Thank you again, for your help - this is frustrating!

Little late to respond but to answer a few of the questions.

If you dye after stitching then yes it will change the color of natural linen thread. If it is poly or other synthetic that is precolored then it usually doesnt. You can dye then stitch as well. Just depends on what you want.

I forgot that if your antiquing and are covering the whole piece you can do all your steps before stitching then stitch. Its a little harder to wet the belt to fold it but can be done. Then once it is bent you can put your finish sealer on it if your using one.

When you use neatsfoot oil you need to oil it and let it sit for atleast a few hours. Overnight is the best. This gives it time to soak in and disperse properly.

You are on the best website to find the answers you are looking for. Look around at the older post and you should find something to help you out.

As far as darkening the leather. Well just about anything you add to the leather will darken it to a degree. About the only thing that I have found that doesnt is bickfores leather dressing. Experiment on scraps to see the amount of change your gonna get with various finishes that you use is my best advice.