Sign in to follow this  
harnessman

How Do You Cut Fringes

Hi All

I am a total beginner when it comes to the entire fringe thing and I am wondering what the easiest/best way to cut the fringe so that it is evenly spaced and consistent width? My daughter wants to make a fringed cary bag for her nintendo out of 2-3oz upholstery leather and I have no clue how to easily cut the fringe work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Tandy and others sell a tool that is essentially a stack of plastic pieces with blades locked in it. I found it to be real easy to get consistent fringe 1/8th to 1/4 inch usually. The tool is kind of expensive and really not made very well (pot metal casting) but it works. Sorry I do not have a pic or remember what it is called. You can go to tandy web site they may have a pic and price. Jordan

i used a metal straight edge or small square and a rotary blade. just measure n cut with blade. I eyeball pretty close been cutting them this way for years.. the jerry stripper dont work so great.

All the fringe I cut on chinks and chaps I jsut eyeball. and I cut a lot of fringe. It takes a little time to be able to be consistant but you will get it. I am like bonnie I just use a straight edge and my head knife ( I havent had much luck with the rotary knives)

Tim

TK- Leather

on the tandy site, it's called 'the table-top lace cutter'... here's the link..., it's even on sale 'til the end of the month...

tandy lace cutter link, $30.00 - $58.00...

siegal listing for it as a 'jerry stripper', and it's $30

same thing at springfield, just normal price, $48.00...

hope this helps... eric

save yourself a lot of $$$$ and frustation. get a small framing square and an Exacto

Knife and plenty of Blades. you'll do good.