I have tried to use super sheen and satin sheen with so-so results, I think I am ready to run with the big dogs now , I am looking for a new way and product to seal my holsters and make them come out looking like glass , not wavy glass like I have been getting on all black holsters , all other colors are come out good except for black , when I look at some holsters on here, man they look smooth and I just can not get them like that . I want try maybe dipping them into a sealer or trying a new product or some homemade stuff . I know its out there I just have to find it , help a brother out

ps . I do airbrush my holsters , would airbrushing supersheen be a start

ben

Have you tried Fiebing's Resolene in Black? Cut it by at least half to spray it. Kevin at Springfield should have it. I wouldn't bet on Tandy, I just haven't seen it there.

Art

I have tried to use super sheen and satin sheen with so-so results, I think I am ready to run with the big dogs now , I am looking for a new way and product to seal my holsters and make them come out looking like glass , not wavy glass like I have been getting on all black holsters , all other colors are come out good except for black , when I look at some holsters on here, man they look smooth and I just can not get them like that . I want try maybe dipping them into a sealer or trying a new product or some homemade stuff . I know its out there I just have to find it , help a brother out

ben

A BIG +1 for Black Resolene. Kevin just hooked me up with some. I did not know that even existed. I tried it for the first time the other night and I am VERY impressed. Anything I do in black from now on will be getting that.

Lose the Sheen products. Go to resolene for the finsh you would like. Be forewarned though, resolene will leave a tacky finish that may cause your brow to crumple. buffing ona a buffing wheel oand or hitting it with Kiwi Neutral shoe polish helps take care of that. That was the bonus suprise I got from the black resolene, there was little or no tacky feel when I was done. I was thrilled!

BRL are you airbrushing your Resolene on? I stopped using it because it left a streaky look that no amount of buffing would eliminate....I was brushing it on so that may have made a difference. I've been using Tan-Kote with good results but I don't know if it's as durable as Resolene but I can brush it on and it evens out nicely.

Bronson

I pour Resolene on a damp sponge and rub it into the leather. When it dries. I buff it with a shoe brush, and then apply neutral shoe polish, let it dry, and buff it out with the shoe brush. I've been very pleased; especially with black. The trick I've found is to buff the black dye BEFORE applying the finish as well as after.

Edited by gregintenn

ben

try Fiebing's leather balm with atom wax/black. let dry and buff

BRL are you airbrushing your Resolene on? I stopped using it because it left a streaky look that no amount of buffing would eliminate....I was brushing it on so that may have made a difference. I've been using Tan-Kote with good results but I don't know if it's as durable as Resolene but I can brush it on and it evens out nicely.

Bronson

Yes, I am airbrushing it with my cheap Harbor frieght air brush cut 50/50 with water. works great without any streaking for me. Multiple thin coats, or as much as my lack of patience will allow me to get to thin without it pooling up and or running. I have a hard time with patience between coats, too.

I don't know that I would use leather balm for a final finish on holsters. As nice as a look as it it, I'm not convinced it will seal it good enough to prevent bleedoff on the hot sweaty days.