Higgy

Old Letter Kit

It says "Marking Outfit For Stamping Leather" on the top of the box. It looks pretty old. I am not sure where it came from but it was given to me this evening.

post-13448-12780324283_thumb.jpg

post-13448-127803244961_thumb.jpg

post-13448-127803246828_thumb.jpg

I have several sets of that type letter, both brass, and steel. I got them some 40 yrs back. Sometime last year I looked up pricing for new sets...BE Very glad you don't have to buy them nowadays.

They are hard to line up very any series of letters/nos. But they are excellent for small initialing, or stamping run numbers or date markings on things, or even 1.2.3 of a series of things.

I have several sets of that type letter, both brass, and steel. I got them some 40 yrs back. Sometime last year I looked up pricing for new sets...BE Very glad you don't have to buy them nowadays.

They are hard to line up very any series of letters/nos. But they are excellent for small initialing, or stamping run numbers or date markings on things, or even 1.2.3 of a series of things.

Thanks for your reply - I'll keep that in mind.

The olive drab box suggests these were likely a US Army calvary saddlers kit for stamping serial numbers in harness and tack.

I have a set similar to that...came in a wooden box with a lid stamped with the owner's name, and the year 1945.

I can only imagine he bought himself (or made himself) that set after he got out of the service.

Got mine for very little, and am happy to have it.

As the others say, it is hard to line up the letters...more for initials, numbers etc.

PMZ

I can't say for certain - but I'd definitely lean towards it being a military set. I have seen a lot of military equipment supplied in boxes constructed like that, especially with that type of latch. Not sure whether or not it's British or US made.