landm42006

How Do I Make A Padded Watch Strap?

Hello all. Well, I am attempting to step into the unknown (for me) and create padded watch straps, as illustrated in the picture attached. I believe that I am to use very thin leather to create the strap, but I am unsure as to what filler / padding is used to create that fullness.

avenger1.jpg

I have seen padded straps in watches, purse straps and other leather handles, but I am unsure of how to go about achieving this visual effect.

In my previous attempts at making straps, it was pretty straightforward, and fun. Made the strap, burnished the edges and did my sewing.

This padded strap looks like the edges are "rounded over".

Anyone have any experience in constructing a strap such as this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and Semper Fi, Marty

Hello all. Well, I am attempting to step into the unknown (for me) and create padded watch straps, as illustrated in the picture attached. I believe that I am to use very thin leather to create the strap, but I am unsure as to what filler / padding is used to create that fullness.

avenger1.jpg

I have seen padded straps in watches, purse straps and other leather handles, but I am unsure of how to go about achieving this visual effect.

In my previous attempts at making straps, it was pretty straightforward, and fun. Made the strap, burnished the edges and did my sewing.

This padded strap looks like the edges are "rounded over".

Anyone have any experience in constructing a strap such as this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and Semper Fi, Marty

For the padding, I am guessing either very thin neoprene foam or quilter's batting.

Not quite sure on the construction without seeing the underside...

how i did it before was to use foam just wide enough to to be stitched on both sides, and glued down on both sides with contact cement. the burnished the edges. it gave the 'puff' in the center, and the flatness from the stitching to the edge. hope the helps....

eric

how i did it before was to use foam just wide enough to to be stitched on both sides, and glued down on both sides with contact cement. the burnished the edges. it gave the 'puff' in the center, and the flatness from the stitching to the edge. hope the helps....

eric

p.s. i forgot to add, the foam i used was the craft foam that you can get in any michael's/ joanne's/craft store/etc.... it comes in either 1mm, 2mm, and 3mm.... i used two 1mm sheets for my straps.

p.s. i forgot to add, the foam i used was the craft foam that you can get in any michael's/ joanne's/craft store/etc.... it comes in either 1mm, 2mm, and 3mm.... i used two 1mm sheets for my straps.

Yep, that's the stuff I was thinking of...couldn't remember where I had seen it.